Author Topic: Villagers in Bawomataluo on Nias move a megalith for construction around 1915  (Read 833 times)

struktor

Villagers in Bawomataluo on Nias move a megalith for construction around 1915

https://www.andywhiteanthropology.com/blog/category/indonesia

agent_smith

Thank you struktor.

You offer no insight about your post - since it comes with no words or pictures of your own.
I had a look at the link - which indicates the source material is from a Mr Andy White.

So you have re-posted photos from Andy White which he in turn appears to have sourced from Wikipedia?

Given that this is an all things knot and knotting forum - I presume your intention is to draw our attention to the 'cordage' used to lash the stone blocks? Given the date is 1915, obviously this pre-dates synthetics (eg nylon) so clearly the cordage/rope is constructed from a vegetable fibre.
At the intersections where the cordage forms a crossing point - the cord is spliced or inter-penetrating in some manner.
It also appears that the 'cordage' is woven/twisted to create an 'elastic' effect. It is hard to determine if there is more rope fibre enclosed within the outer twisted material.

I don't see any knots anywhere...

Could you share your thoughts about the cordage and the way in which stone blocks are lashed?

Was your post purely anthropological in nature or was it to draw discussion on the type of cordage used to lash the stone blocks?

struktor

I had a look at the link - which indicates the source material is from a Mr Andy White.

So you have re-posted photos from Andy White which he in turn appears to have sourced from Wikipedia?

Mr Andy White wrote:

"I think all the photos come from a two volume 1917 publication entitled Nias: Ethnographische, geographische en historische aanteekeningen en studien, by E. E. W. Gs. Schroeder. From what I gather, one of the volumes is text while the other is photographs. I don't have access to either at the moment (let me know if you have it?), but I'm guessing all the Nias stone-pulling photos in the previous post come from the volume of photographs."

I do not have access to this book.
There may be answers to your questions in it.

agent_smith

I do not have access to this book.
There may be answers to your questions in it.

?

You miss my point.

It is not Andy White that I am curious about...it is your post.
Normally, when a person posts something on this forum there is accompanying text to provide context and insight.
Readers can then gain insight into the point you are making or the hypothesis you are advancing.

In this particular instance, your post arrives with zero context or insight from yourself, so the reader has to become a detective and try to unravel a mystery.

Your post is appreciated...all I am pointing out in this particular instance is that you offer nothing beyond what Mr Andy White posted in his blog. There are no words or original thoughts of your own - so the reader is left puzzled as to what is going on?

And your reply post is essentially the same - it is not offering any of your own originality or your thoughts about why you posted in the first place - so we have to become detectives.

Am I the only person to see this odd situation?