Author Topic: Coachwhipped "Moustache" Fender for famous Coast Guard boat  (Read 463 times)

Frayed Knot Arts

• Knot too smart at times....
    • Frayed Knot Arts
This is the boat which inspired the movie "The Finest Hours"  and she is wanting a re-vamped Moustache Fender as hers is becoming a bit dowdy.  I'm sure I have a book in my library which elucidates the how-to for this style of fender, but ALL my books are 'buried' in our storage room (15' x 40') in the left rear corner under the dining room set and couch. 

So I present the problem to the assembled experts here!

Here's a bow-on picture of what they'd like to replace, so any instructions or tips on doing up a new one would be greatly appreciated.

Post your solutions here and I'll relay to Mr. Penna or send me a PM.

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:21:47 PM by Frayed Knot Arts »

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Coachwhipped "Moustache" Fender for famous Coast Guard boat
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 08:00:31 PM »
I am finding it difficult to make out the fine details, so, I googled it and found this photo that is clearer. https://fineartamerica.com/featured/mustache-boat-paul-freidlund.html

I looks like a long Turks head that is following the shape of the core and is tightened more snugly at the ends.

Hope this gives you some help.

SS

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: Coachwhipped "Moustache" Fender for famous Coast Guard boat
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 08:20:30 AM »
Thanks Scott, that makes it easier to see. The ends seem to have a mix of 3 and 4 passes whereas the centre has perhaps 4 and 5 passes in places - all neatly done I must say.

Barry