Author Topic: trying to find picture of wet hitch  (Read 1211 times)

marktinerman

trying to find picture of wet hitch
« on: March 28, 2018, 09:50:20 PM »
Hi I run a mobile sauna and showers and over the years have used many different knots..  A knot I invented and for years was calling a "sauna mans hitch" was identified as being called a wet hitch....   
I've been searching/googling for wet hitch for a few hours now and can't find it so joined in here in the hope of help

It is an extremely practical knot which I mainly used for guy ropes to pegs..  I can tension the rope with one hand while tying the knot with the other...   It is easy to undo even if I use it for towing vehicles out of the mud with my 4x4.

thanks Mark

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: trying to find picture of wet hitch
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 12:39:21 AM »
Hello marktinerman and welcome.

How about a providing a photo or a drawing so we can have a look.

SS

marktinerman

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 12:47:36 AM »
can I put video on here?.. if so will take one tomorrow.. as how it's tied is part of the beauty of the knot

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 01:21:13 AM »
A photo view of the knot loosely tied can suffice.

SS

marktinerman

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 02:39:43 AM »
hi I have made photo and tried to attach it , mark

knotsaver

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 05:36:45 AM »
Hi marktinerman,
it's a Backhanded Hitch (with a slipped finish) (you can find it named Backhand Hitch).
See ABoK #1852.
You can read this topic too
https://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3753.0

Ciao,
s.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:17:29 AM by knotsaver »

marktinerman

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 09:24:13 AM »
Hi thanks .. it is a backhanded hitch... I.m surprised that it is as little known/used as I have been working at festivals and with fairground riggers for 40 years and nobody I've talked to has named it... All the people I've shown it to have been really pleased as it is so much better than the clove hitches (more tensionable and easy to undo)that most have been using for tying guys to pegs and easier to tie than lorrymans hitch (and less likely to slide of peg) especially on initial rigging... Equally the 4x4 drivers have been impressed with how after putting a 4 or 5 ton pull on it it will still come undone..
  For tying as guy rope knot and tensioning the trick is to cross ones arms so that the (in my case) right hand hand with most of my body weight behind it is pulling on the guy rope with the tent on my left side while the left hand holding the tail at least 18 inches from the end with thumb towards standing part allows the rope to complete the knot without slack up to the fist hitch when the right hand is no longer needed for tensioning
  For long distance towing (repeated heavy pulls) then repeating the second part of the knot (prior to hitches) allows the knot to be undone even in muddy conditions in all the types of rope I've used and does not seem to weaken the rope as  the rope seldom breaks at the knot. Mark

agent_smith

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 02:59:20 AM »
Not surprisingly, this so-called 'Backhanded hitch' is actually (at its core) - a Munter hitch (#1195).

marktinerman

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »
Thanks for all replies re. Backhanded hitch....    This knot being called a Munter hitch should cause some amusement at festivals in UK as  munter here is an "inebriated"/ useless person