Author Topic: Variations on the Zeppelin Bend (for Dyneema?)  (Read 637 times)

knotsaver

Variations on the Zeppelin Bend (for Dyneema?)
« on: February 27, 2018, 02:04:07 PM »
Hi all,
I'm gonna show you some retucked Zeppelin Bends, I don't know if they can be useful for Dyneema ropes (Dan, do they pass the smell test? :) ) and maybe they were already tied.
The best, I think, is the Retucked Slipped Zeppelin (the tails could be furthermore retucked parallel to the Standing Parts).
Then I show you a Collared Slipped Zeppelin (the Slipping bights are locked by the Standing Parts).
The last two are really rope-made hinges they are a Double Zeppelin and a Double False Zeppelin (a Double Neat&New! :) )...it seems that these are not so easy to be untied!?
What do you think about them?
Ciao,
s.

agent_smith

Re: Variations on the Zeppelin Bend (for Dyneema?)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 01:04:19 AM »
A slipped Zeppelin bend is a nice idea - and it has been suggested before.
Not sure about the need to feed the SParts through the 'bights' created by the slipped tails (what tangible benefit would this provide?).
A slipped Zeppelin adds 'padding' to the core - which night boost the MBS yield (if that's an important or desirable goal).

I have found my version (see attached image) to have practical application in rope access / vertical rescue for rope technicians performing a fixed knot 'bypass'.
You can clip into the loop (eye) while performing the bypass procedure.
Note: The title is misleading (its not a 'real' TIB method) - just an old descriptor I used and haven't deleted. Will fix later...

Mark G
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 01:06:45 AM by agent_smith »

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 01:11:32 AM »
Do they pass the smell test?

I shy away from predictions (of success, esp.!) where
HMPE is involved, after hearing that the beefed-up
#1425 I had tested slipped (!).  Given that, though,
I'm skeptical about these interlocked overhands
doing even half as well.

But I've not studied "EStar"'s testing, and that sort
of opposed-buntline-hitches bend that DID hold,
and have no good feel for HMPE behavior.

--dl*
====

knotsaver

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 05:26:33 PM »
Thanks Mark and Dan,

Not sure about the need to feed the SParts through the 'bights' created by the slipped tails (what tangible benefit this provide?).

No, Mark, obviously it was (should be) tied by collaring the SParts with the Working End: I thought of the bend in that way, but it is not practical...
By the way to increase the friction (in the first Slipped (and in the second if you want)) the bights could be twisted...

Note: The title is misleading (its not a 'real' TIB method) - just an old descriptor I used and haven't deleted. Will fix later...
...it is more than TIB it is Tied With the Bight(s) ;)

Ciao,
s.