Author Topic: A "riveting" challenge  (Read 642 times)

mwilborn

A "riveting" challenge
« on: March 20, 2018, 04:47:39 PM »
Hello! I have been using some recent misadventures in the kitchen as an excuse to adorn some of our pot lids with decorative but functional knots.
In the first misadventure, (not my fault), a glass lid for a rice cooker lost it's knob. I replaced it with a "Mauretania Knot" (ABOK 544), doubled and loaded with a normal lanyard knot with the legs cut off. The ends of this knob were passed through the hole in the glass lid and a Lanyard Knot (ABOK 787) tied on the inside of the lid. This was made of paracord. I put a common whipping, very tightly, on the slack legs between the top of the lid and the bottom of the knobby 544. It was handsome enough to pass muster with the wife and so I call it a success.

Second misadventure, (my fault), a metal lid was used as a pickle press/sauerkraut hold down. After 2 months under brine, the lid and the handle look great! No corrosion, no ill effects... but the metal rivets are gone. I am now trying to replace the rivets with knots, to further mark everything in my house with handiwork (and stop the wrath of wife that will come down on me if she figures this all out before I come up with something suitably impressive).

I have had a couple ideas for this, but it's hard to get two button knots to tighten up towards each other. I started with an ABOK 602, worked up tight. Then I tried to work the same knot on the other side, but even with a pricker, it is tough to get the slack out of the middle enough to make the end result passable. (again, the goal is to replace the two rivets that held on a sauce pan lid.) The slack allows the handle to wobble enough that I daren't call this a solution.

So, I wanted to know if anyone out there had a good idea for a knot or set of knots to replace a broken rivet!

I'm also considering using a bead or toggle, along with micro cord, that would allow me to tie one button knot and then just use the bead as an anchor to tighten up the top knot before hitching it off.

Cheers!
Mike

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: A "riveting" challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 05:49:40 PM »
Hello! I have been using some recent misadventures in the kitchen as an excuse to adorn some of our pot lids with decorative but functional knots.
In the first misadventure, (not my fault), a glass lid for a rice cooker lost it's knob. I replaced it with a "Mauretania Knot" (ABOK 544), doubled and loaded with a normal lanyard knot with the legs cut off. The ends of this knob were passed through the hole in the glass lid and a Lanyard Knot (ABOK 787) tied on the inside of the lid. This was made of paracord. I put a common whipping, very tightly, on the slack legs between the top of the lid and the bottom of the knobby 544. It was handsome enough to pass muster with the wife and so I call it a success.

Second misadventure, (my fault), a metal lid was used as a pickle press/sauerkraut hold down. After 2 months under brine, the lid and the handle look great! No corrosion, no ill effects... but the metal rivets are gone. I am now trying to replace the rivets with knots, to further mark everything in my house with handiwork (and stop the wrath of wife that will come down on me if she figures this all out before I come up with something suitably impressive).

I have had a couple ideas for this, but it's hard to get two button knots to tighten up towards each other. I started with an ABOK 602, worked up tight. Then I tried to work the same knot on the other side, but even with a pricker, it is tough to get the slack out of the middle enough to make the end result passable. (again, the goal is to replace the two rivets that held on a sauce pan lid.) The slack allows the handle to wobble enough that I daren't call this a solution.

So, I wanted to know if anyone out there had a good idea for a knot or set of knots to replace a broken rivet!

I'm also considering using a bead or toggle, along with micro cord, that would allow me to tie one button knot and then just use the bead as an anchor to tighten up the top knot before hitching it off.

Cheers!
Mike
I think I'd get a new corrosion-resistant lid.  If you want to keep the lid, stainless steel fasteners of all shapes and sizes are easily available in stores or on the web.  If you must put knots on the lid, adorn the handle instead.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".