Author Topic: Ranking of worst knots  (Read 2549 times)

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
Re: Ranking of worst knots
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2018, 11:22:57 PM »
I had a problem relating to this challenge.

My pet 'hate' is knots that jam, knots the opposite end of the spectrum from the Carrick group of knots, knots like the 'evil' Strangle.  Dress it and set it, then even with the application of a modest load in softish cord and you can kiss goodbye to ever being able to pick the damned thing open, more likely to shred the cord long before you ever find the release end.

But -

When you need a stopper that you can rely on, the strangle steps up and is hard to beat.

Even 'crazy knots like the Whatnot has it value - it is without exception the very best knot for explaining and demonstrating the knot mechanism of Cogging.  Dress the ends into 'Grief' mode and the cords roll with one another allowing the load force to flow the knot along the cord to eventual destruction.  Yet reverse the ends and the rotational flows contradict one another, locking the knot into one of the most secure you will find.

So, on this one I find myself strongly in support of the opinion voiced by agent_smith, to deny the value of any knot is to deny ourselves the opportunity to study and understand the machines we love to master.

Derek

agent_smith

Re: Ranking of worst knots
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2018, 05:21:13 AM »
Good to hear from you again Derek!
I see you are no longer the dunny man - and have been promoted to 'knot botherer'!

Hope to see more comments from you in these forums...I always enjoyed reading your posts and learning from you :)