Author Topic: Lock finish for sheet bend  (Read 2641 times)

NautiKnots

• Nauti Knots
Lock finish for sheet bend
« on: March 14, 2018, 03:09:50 AM »
Has anyone tried adding a locking finish (such as a Scott's Lock or Yosemite Finish et. al.) to a Sheet Bend?  I see lots of people have tried locking variants of the Bowline and Cowboy Bowline, but my searches don't uncover similar extensions to the Sheet Bend or Lapp Bend.  The idea seems so obvious that I presume someone must have tried it.

I've been toying with various additional tucks to the Sheet Bend and Lapp Bend, and it seems to me that they may improve those knots' security more than doubling does.  A Scott's Locked Lapp Bend looks particularly intriguing.  It appears to have a better lead than a similarly locked Sheet Bend, especially when reversing which end is tied in a larger/stiffer line.  The Carrick Bend lends itself to an additional tuck as well.

Can you point me to previous results, or should I continue exploring them myself?

Regards,
Eric

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Lock finish for sheet bend
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 03:54:08 AM »
Good day Eric.

I have tried this approach with many bends, all I can think of and it does add additional security, but most of the time it just adds bulk when not really needed.
The tucking of the tail(s) or re-tucking, though, sometimes is a detriment as it does not allow the core (original knot) to cinch down sufficiently.
Also, it is my opinion that the additional material within the nipping area of some knots can lead to a weaker knot overall.

If you have something interesting, please share a picture.
And keep exploring!

SS

agent_smith

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 08:43:47 AM »
Here is an image of Scotts locked Sheet bend and corresponding eye knot.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:43:29 PM »
Has anyone tried adding a locking finish (such as a Scott's Lock or Yosemite Finish et. al.) to a Sheet Bend?  I see lots of people have tried locking variants of the Bowline and Cowboy Bowline, but my searches don't uncover similar extensions to the Sheet Bend or Lapp Bend.  The idea seems so obvious that I presume someone must have tried it.

I've been toying with various additional tucks to the Sheet Bend and Lapp Bend, and it seems to me that they may improve those knots' security more than doubling does.  A Scott's Locked Lapp Bend looks particularly intriguing.  It appears to have a better lead than a similarly locked Sheet Bend, especially when reversing which end is tied in a larger/stiffer line.  The Carrick Bend lends itself to an additional tuck as well.
Eric, as you surmise, yes, many have experimented
with ways to secure the sheet bend.  And some
inviting tucks to the carrick bend can lead to some
of the interlocked overhands --shakehands, #1452.

For the Lapp bend, I'm sure I've long-ago advocated
just such a simple extension --but one that amounts to a
sort of "doubling" which you dismiss :: simply take the tail
of the *hitching* line (the non-U part) around at least one
more time to surround its own SPart & that side of the U,
and you get a >>slack-secure<< knot that is yet pretty
easily loosened (pull the two ends of the U apart to pry
out some of the hitching line's SPart, sufficient to then
work things loose.  .:.  It is a knot I use MUCH.

--dl*
====

NautiKnots

• Nauti Knots
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 01:10:39 AM »
Here are some of my favorite locked variants of the Sheet Bend.
  • Scott's Locked Sheet Bend
    This is the simplest one of the lot -- and there's a lot to be said for simplicity.  Unfortunately, it's a bit bulkier than the others.

• Lee's Locked Yosemite Sheet Bend
    This lock finish is handsome and compact.  Like the Yosemite finish on a Bowline, it must be dressed properly or risk failure.

• End-Bound Single Sheet Bend
    Based on Mark Gommers' EBSB.  This looks to be a very secure and potentially quite strong variation.

• Locked Cowboy Sheet Bend
    Based on a bowline lock suggested by Dan Lehman.  I find it interesting because the working ends exit (nearly) parallel to the standing ends.  If you wanted to seize the ends, you could produce a Sheet Bend with a nice lead.  Note that I've started with a "Cowboy" Sheet Bend.  I think this results in a knot that distorts less (than the true Sheet bend version) under load.  The pull is through the center of the bend.

In each of the above knots, I've reversed which end is traditionally tied in the larger diameter (or stiffer) line.  I did that because the locking tucks add bulk (so I tied them with the thinner line) and because the locking tucks help prevent the bend from capsizing around the thicker line.

I hope that was interesting,
Eric
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:15:51 AM by NautiKnots »

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 05:11:36 PM »
In each of the above knots,
I've reversed which end is traditionally tied in the larger diameter (or stiffer) line.
I did that because the locking tucks add bulk (so I tied them with the thinner line)
and because the locking tucks help prevent the bend from capsizing around the thicker line.
Eric, you present a compelling exhibit for this novel
approach, bravo!

These sorts of diff-ropes joints will work variously
well per the nature of the difference (degree of size
difference, i.p.).  These look pretty good.  In some
cases, it looks as though a full / "round" turn of
the smaller-diameter rope could be put in, as a
means to surer binding,
with --to your point-- this extra knotting but in the
smaller rope not appreciably enlarging the overall knot.

Thanks,
--dl*
====

NautiKnots

• Nauti Knots
Retucked Carrick Bend
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 03:51:20 PM »
Here's a pic of a Carrick Bend with the working ends tucked adjacent to the standing parts.  I don't recall seeing this simple modification before (but I presume it has been done somewhere).  The result is an attractive bend composed of interlocked overhand knots with a character resembling the Japanese Bend (ABoK 1423) on one side.  It looks reasonably secure to me, but probably not as strong as other interlocked overhand bends, and perhaps a bit bulky.

Regards,
Eric
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:55:32 PM by NautiKnots »

knotsaver

Re: Retucked Carrick Bend
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 06:37:42 PM »
...  I don't recall seeing this simple modification before (but I presume it has been done somewhere).

...you obtain the same knot by 'crossing' the tails of the Loose knot by Roger Miles (B.15)
(noticed by Xarax)

Ciao,
s.

[EDIT] attached pictures for reference
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:48:05 PM by knotsaver »

anything