Author Topic: New Knot Book  (Read 744 times)

Hazardhouse95

New Knot Book
« on: January 12, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
Dear IGKT forum members & fellow knotters,
I am making an encyclopedia-type book on (mostly) decorative woven knots, and am wanting to find out what other knotters think of the idea of a "Ashley Book of Decorative Knots" or a "Ashley Book of Knots Vol. 2" type of book (I'm thinking of calling my book something like "Mitchell's Marvellous Manuscript to Decorative Knots").
My book will feature 1 chapter discussing practical knots (ones that're the most secure & the strongest, & most useful for decorative knotting), 12-or-so chapters discussing the following categories/classes of decorative knots: knob knots, looped & knotted sinnets (chain & crown sinnets), flat & French sinnets (braids of 2D origin), plait & solid sinnets (braids of 3D origin), Turk's Heads (based on looped & knotted braids), Turk's Heads ("normal" T.H.K.'s, based on braids of 2D origin), Turks Head's (based on braids of 3D origin), Mobius Bands (based on braids of 2D origin), Mobius Bands (based on braids of 3D origin), Mobius Bands (based on braids of looped & knotted origin), covering knots (globe knots & ring hitching), & 2-dimensional knots (mats); and 1 "inspiration" or "other ideas" chapter who's intention is in the name, to inspire would-be readers into inventing new knots, & look into "boring" topics like mathematics & topology.
This "inspiration" chapter will discuss uncommon weaving patterns, the plausibility of applying a weaving pattern(s) to non-orientable surfaces, Ply-Splitting (I call it "Witching", "W" from weaving + "itching" from stitching= "Witching"), my knot-so scientific version of knot theory, applying decorative knotting to other crafts, & borrowing techniques & knowledge from other crafts (interdisciplinary exchange), & applying multiple (ideally related) crafts into one article.
Would-be readers might observe/notice that a lot of the braids & knots I've designed/invented are inspired/influenced by ABoK, other books I've read, & sources online.
Thanks for your thoughts & opinions on this.
Mitchell Jury, a.k.a. Hazardhouse95
Former member of IGKT
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:52:28 PM by Hazardhouse95 »

KnotMe

• The Dao of Silk
Re: New Knot Book
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:49:26 PM »
Ply-Splitting (I call it "Witching", "W" from weaving + "itching" from stitching= "Witching")
Please don't introduce new terminology just for kicks, if at all possible.   :)

Hazardhouse95

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:02:38 PM »
Why? What's wrong with the introduction of new terminology in the book?
Quote: Ply-Splitting (I call it "Witching", "W" from weaving + "itching" from stitching= "Witching").

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:55:10 PM »
I agree with Carol.  Knotting terminology has enough words that with multiple meanings, made-up words and ambigous definitions.  If you are introducing a completely new technique, go ahead and give it a name.  But if you make up a bunch of terminology, you will lose readers like me who are interested in tying knots, not learning a new lexicon.

Pat

alanleeknots

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 05:30:25 AM »

Thanks for your thoughts & opinions on this.
You are asking Reader's opinion here.

Why? What's wrong with the introduction of new terminology in the book?
I don't like the way you answer to Carol.
 谢谢 alanlee

Hazardhouse95

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 11:32:40 PM »
Ok... I think there's been a misunderstanding regarding my reply to Carol's thought's about the introduction of new terminology; I didn't intend my reply to be hostile, but more of a "I don't understand, please explain more" type of response.
I don't like the way you answer to Carol.
If you've got feedback about my book, please continue giving it, as every bit can help improve the book-to-be.

Hazardhouse95