Author Topic: knotted frame backing?  (Read 1722 times)

JimmyD

knotted frame backing?
« on: October 13, 2017, 03:50:48 AM »
Hi all, I am interested in starting a knotted frame though would like to pick the forums brains on the best way to attach the braids, sinnits and knots to the actual frame.
 I am thinking of having a 5 or 6 inch wide frame to cover with rope work.
Have you all had best experiences with either glueing or stitching the pieces onto the frame? would you use wood as the frame material?
Any and all feedback and ideas will be gratefully received, Cheers. Peace.

Jimmy

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: knotted frame backing?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 11:49:02 AM »
The late Bernard Cutbush was a prolific (and very good) maker of knotted frames - he had hundreds in his home. As far as I know he used a wooden frame with the knots first soaked in PVA adhesive, baked until hard then glued on. To make a mitred corner, the border braid was first made stiff with glue then cut with a very fine say. The join had eg an ocean mat glued at an angle to cover it. Looked pretty impressive when finished!

Hope this helps.

Sweeney

pspiering

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 12:53:38 PM »
Most frame makers use simple Elmer's glue if they are using cotton. If using synthetic cord, I think most use a different type of glue. I don't know any frame makers who sew sennits to a background of light canvas as detailed in The Encyclopedia of Knots and Fancy Ropework. One frame maker I know sometimes uses burlap glued to wood to create more surface area for better adhesion, but he still uses Elmer's glue.

Pat

JimmyD

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 01:53:04 AM »
Fantastic insights thanks guys!
I'm going to try with cotton yarn made into small rope, I'm guess he used to glue, bake and cut to size with a saw to make sure his frame didn't shrink on him when it dried?
If so it would have taken more than one frame for me to work that out!!
Thanks again guys great info.

James