Author Topic: Introduction and etiquette question  (Read 1903 times)

Alain Bienvenue

Introduction and etiquette question
« on: October 12, 2017, 02:27:07 PM »
Hi all,

I have been reading a lot of threads on this forum in the past few weeks. There are so many things to learn and discover in the knotting world.

I have little practical use for knots. I did a little rock climbing eons ago, but that is it. My current knotting in interest started when I wanted to tie down some boxes in my truck, but could not much about knots beyond overhands, half hitches, bowlines and figure 8. I did not know how to keep the line tight. I wanted to refresh my knowledge, so I went down the rabbit hole. I have not recovered yet. I have been walking around with rope in my pockets for the past weeks, tying knots every chance I get.

I wanted to ask about the etiquette on replying to old posts. Since everything here is new to me, i have quite a few questions to ask and contributions to make to some old discussions. Should I reply to, say, a 7 years old post, or create a new one and reference the old one?

I you are in the mood for a little story, here is how I realized that using the proper knot could make all the difference in the world.

About 30 years ago, I knew very little about knots. My friend whose father owned a sailed boat knew much more. One day, he showed my how to tie a bowline, telling me about its security and non-jamming features. I tied it once and did not think much of it. Several weeks later, on a summer job, I was asked to more a cement block, about 2x2x3 feet weighing over 1500 lbs (700 Kg). We had a large front loader and 15 feet (5 m) of three strand yellow poly rope about 1 1/2 inch (38 mm) in diameter. The job was to tie one end of the rope to the loop on the cement block and the other end around a hook on the loader's bucket, lift the block a few inches from ground and relocate it. I figured I would try that bowline contraption I barely knew. I tried to show it to the other guy, but he was not about to learn anything from a newbie. I was not experienced tying the bowline, so It took me quite some time. He tied god knows what to the other end, and was finished well ahead of me. He is urging me to hurry but I want to finish my knot properly. When I was done, we lifted the block and moved it. Both knots held. When we came to recover the rope, the bowline did what the bowline does and I was able to get it undone in a few seconds. The other knot... had to be cut.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:59:50 PM by Alain Bienvenue »
Although it is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness, a blind man will never see, no matter how many candles are lit.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Introduction and etiquette question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 03:14:44 PM »
Should I reply to, say, a 7 years old post, or create a new one and reference the old one?

The latter option will probably get a better response as some tend to tune out of extremely long threads.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 12:03:41 AM »
Good day Alain and welcome.

Either way is fine. If it is germane to the earlier thread, it will be good to be a continuation.

But, by all means, ask your questions, etc.
And thank you for asking.

SS

JohnC

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 07:58:18 AM »
Hi, and welcome.
John

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 04:44:15 PM »
I tried to show it to the other guy, but he was about to learn anything from a newbie
You want "... not ..." in between the reddened words.

the bowline did what the bowline does
I returned from one out-in-the-country (rural reaches) cycling
adventure with a found cut-off knot in 7/8-1" dia. laid PP,
which I surmise was maybe tying down some moved
machinery or ... ?!  Evidently, it had done what bowlines
can sometimes do : capsized!  And it was cut off (though
I think one might've been able to work it loose, but it
was quite tightly set.  And it doesn't appear to be all
so loosely --big collar, i.e.-- tied.

--dl*
====

Alain Bienvenue

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 09:18:40 PM »
You want "... not ..." in between the reddened words.

Very keen eye!
Yes, I missed a word and now fixed it.

Evidently, it had done what bowlines can sometimes do : capsized!

I did not even know that was possible with a properly tied bowline.
I will have to research that topic.

Although it is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness, a blind man will never see, no matter how many candles are lit.

anything