Author Topic: Shell Bend  (Read 178 times)

siriuso

• Exp. Member
Shell Bend
« on: April 23, 2021, 09:15:26 AM »
Hi all

I would like to present here the Shell Bend for comments. Formerly it was included in my ?My New Bend? folder on October 2020.

Shell Bend can be tied in 14 ways (see my folder). One face of the bend should be dressed to Crown Knot-like, that is each working end is placed between the collar and the standing part. This Crown Knot-like structure and placements of the working ends forms an mechanism for further untying. When untying, we need to pull the two working ends apart from the nub, the bend will be loosened easily without jamming.

It?s configuration is a reverse of Surgeon Knot in flat form. Stiff ropes are not recommend for this bend.

Happy Knotting
yChan

Dan_Lehman

Re: Shell Bend
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 11:38:53 PM »
I would like to present here the Shell Bend for comments.
Formerly it was included in my "My New Bend" folder on October 2020.
Nice ends joint, with that great forcible-loosening
aspect, as you point out!
I was thinking that it's in the neighborhood of #1425,
but see that tucking up through the center will give
a version of #1452 (same digits, diff. order  ;) ).

Chapman's Piloting, some later edition(s), btw, have
presented the Reverse Surgeon's knot as an ends joint,
which I find interesting.

Shell Bend can be tied in 14 ways (see my folder).
Which by Ashley's stated counting would mean 14 "knots"!

--dl*
====
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 11:41:28 PM by Dan_Lehman »

tsik_lestat

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 04:27:58 PM »
Hi, Siriuso,

Fourteen ways of tying it? Wow, you must have singled this one out from your other bends, it certainly appears to be an interesting, symmetrical joint mechanism.

Although, you seem to start with interlocking overhands, at least in some of your tying methods, your final configuration, appears to be free of jamming components, due to the final tail tucking, i assume.

I think the dressing you show, is the appropriate for best performance, but in a strange way i needed to tie it many times to understand its topology, especially when i had to revert from loose to tight state, but nonetheless, the knot loosening by pulling both working ends, is a great aspect.

I am curius, if this untying mechanism would work at extreme strain,and if the nub would retain this dressing state!

I understand that retucking to the other link collar is a familiar approach to you? Well, it results to an overhand based bend, not pliable enough, hence not so delectable choice.

Keep them coming!!
Going knots

siriuso

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 03:27:21 PM »
Hi Dan_Lehman and tsik_lestat

Thanks for comments. I am not kidding, you may find there are 14 tying methods as described in my folder. I used to tie it with tying method 11, where the formation of the bend comes easily to the shape. The right placements of the working ends which act as an easy untying device are shown here.

yChan
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 03:34:31 PM by siriuso »