Author Topic: Secure Eye Knot  (Read 129 times)

SS369

• Global Moderator
Secure Eye Knot
« on: October 15, 2021, 05:18:12 PM »
Here is a secure eye knot that I ve contrived not too long back.
I have ad hoc tested it a fair number of ways and materials.
It is sometimes a bit jammy at extreme loadings, but I have always been able to untie it without tool usage. Although, in fibrous cord/rope it is a challenge, as are many knots.
Hopefully the pictures give one enough details to tie it.

SS369
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 05:20:59 PM by SS369 »

tsik_lestat

Re: Secure Eye Knot
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 10:17:54 AM »
Thank you Scott for this nice configuration.

Don't worry, there are more than enough details, in your fine quality photos for anyone who wants to fiddle with it.

A couple of queries....

1) Why do you place the returning eye leg collar foreward of the crossing knot's collar (near the eye)? Is there a particular reason to dress it that way? i mean, placing it backwards, away from the eye, gives you a more conventional look.

2) I understand you have avoided using the word "bowline", to describe your creation.

From my part, your nipping structure is equivalent to the unknot, constricting both bight legs of the returning structure, so by definition, it qualifies at least as virtual bowline.

It appears you are enhancing the security of your prototype locked bowline, with a second line of defence against slippage, by twisting two times the nipping loop to form a shaped eight nipping scheme.

I had tied something similar, without your locking maneuver, (i mean WE wrapping around the nipping loop), and with the collar placed as described previously.

This makes it TIB, but so can be yours, if you go the cowboy style, just like  TIB Scott's locked bowline.

I see that you've put a good strain on it, glad to hear that it works with various materials, i recall i had declared it as quite challenging to untie at extreme loadings.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 12:51:12 PM by tsik_lestat »
Going knots

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 02:58:23 PM »
Thank you Scott for this nice configuration.

Don't worry, there are more than enough details, in your fine quality photos for anyone who wants to fiddle with it.

A couple of queries....

1) Why do you place the returning eye leg collar foreward of the crossing knot's collar (near the eye)? Is there a particular reason to dress it that way? i mean, placing it backwards, away from the eye, gives you a more conventional look.

2) I understand you have avoided using the word "bowline", to describe your creation.

From my part, your nipping structure is equivalent to the unknot, constricting both bight legs of the returning structure, so by definition, it qualifies at least as virtual bowline.

It appears you are enhancing the security of your prototype locked bowline, with a second line of defence against slippage, by twisting two times the nipping loop to form a shaped eight nipping scheme.

I had tied something similar, without your locking maneuver, (i mean WE wrapping around the nipping loop), and with the collar placed as described previously.

This makes it TIB, but so can be yours, if you go the cowboy style, just like  TIB Scott's locked bowline.

I see that you've put a good strain on it, glad to hear that it works with various materials, i recall i had declared it as quite challenging to untie at extreme loadings.

Good day tsik_lestat.

I?m glad it was easy enough to try it out.

As for the why of the returning eye leg collar placement; it looks better to my eyes and with the returning eye leg collar atop the 8 shaped collar segment, it bends the standing part too much.

Too many Bowlines? this is not a bowline, just bowline-ish. I use the #1010 nipping structure as my standard for such naming.

Without the ?simple lock? maneuver I have found the security to be less endearing.

After I get done with a leg injury and I?m more mobile, I?ll try to do more tests.

Thanks for your interest.

SS

KC

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 11:47:44 AM »
Interesting, ty.
i think HFP slippery 8 is more Bowline-esque in lock, even tho this is terminal, inline eye too.
HFP uses fig8 sideways for more of a Bowline-ish nipping loop/capstan arc/nipping loop lock; this here not so much.
All do have the locking path on the continuous side w/o deforming SPart too heavily;
Then the seam/open side is captured in the locking mechanism of the continuous side in each.
"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon
We now return you to the safety of normal thinking peoples.
~ Please excuse the interruption; thanx -the mgmt.~