Author Topic: I've come up with a knot that might be new..  (Read 935 times)

desimusxvii

I've come up with a knot that might be new..
« on: June 28, 2021, 03:54:46 AM »
Like so many of you I came up with something and I can't help but think someone has already invented and named it. For now I'm calling it the Grasp Hitch.

Video of knot here: https://streamable.com/u0xh7r

It starts a little like Painter's Hitch but then deviates. In the video I make two wraps around the bight+standing end but it really should be more like "2 wraps minimum". I've done with with up to 6 or 7 and it really makes the knot feel more stable under load. 2 is probably ok for quick uses without a ton of stress. I usually use 3 wraps. I'm no expert though!

Can anyone identify it? Does it seem useful?

DDK

• Exp. Member
Re: I've come up with a knot that might be new..
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 05:58:20 PM »
This hitch looks to be a slipped hangman's noose with an additional clockwise (looking from above) single turn around the host just prior to making the finishing wraps and slip tuck.  To see the additional turn, see the attached still shot of the above video by desimusxvii just prior to 14 seconds.

desimusxvii

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 05:10:28 PM »
Is that what this knot should be called then?

"slipped hangman's noose with an additional clockwise (looking from above) single turn around the host just prior to making the finishing wraps and slip tuck"

It rolls right off the tongue. I dig it.  ;)

mwtex

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 10:13:19 PM »
It is easy to tie, quick release, and a hitch that constricts tightly against/around the object.

It also doesn't capsize like some of the other quick release hitches.  (Mainly comparing to the few that completely pull free without unwrapping turns.)

I like it.  I Haven't seen it before, but I'm not an expert - though I have a good collection of knot books.

I'm not sold on the name...grasp hitch ;). Pinch hitch kinda describes pinching a bight with the wraps, idk..it's desim's choice I guess.