Author Topic: Adjustable knot to hang sandbag?  (Read 2112 times)

Harold Kahl

Re: Adjustable knot to hang sandbag?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 12:06:40 AM »
When I say constant tension, my intent was that it's constantly under tension, not necessarily that the tension doesn't fluctuate. Wind, or even people brushing up against it won't have any effect.

I still have spotty results getting the gleipnir really tight around a bundle, which was its original purpose, However, it becomes a completely different animal when tied in free air like I did in the video. I guess OP can try it out and see if it meets his needs.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 12:36:01 AM »
When I say constant tension, my intent was that it's constantly under tension, not necessarily that the tension doesn't fluctuate. Wind, or even people brushing up against it won't have any effect.

I have it tied with some cord in the same manner as your video, and even static load is too much for the "sometimes it works" knot.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Harold Kahl

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 12:57:20 AM »

I have it tied with some cord in the same manner as your video, and even static load is too much for the "sometimes it works" knot.
I'm curious what kind of cord you used, as that hasn't been my experience at all. I've used the braided poly, as shown in the video, and some nylon paracord, with good results. Both of these cord types were somewhat unreliable when tied in various friction hitches like the adjustable grip hitch, the Farrimond friction hitch, the taut line hitch, etc. I think I've tried them all. They all hold, more or less, as long as the rope isn't too slippery, you dress them nice and tight, and don't pull too hard. But then you adjust them, and they are likely as not to slip again.
I think those are the kinds of knots you would compare the gleipnir to in this application where OP wants to fine tune the height adjustment.

Bipbip

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 08:41:30 PM »
May I suggest this figure 9 based ajustable loop ? Or my own tarp knot ? ?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:33:30 PM by Bipbip »

gc

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 05:58:39 AM »
Seems I am still not receiving reply notifications. At any rate?

After some canopy set-ups this summer, I?ve had a chance to experiment in the real world with the knots.

The current champ is a slippery Bowline paired with the Trucker?s Hitch. The Bowline isn?t used to attach to the upper canopy frame, and the Trucker ?s Hitch allows me to hoist the sandbag before tying off.

As time isi usually in short supply during these setups, I?ve not had a chance to try other suggestions as I?m defaulting to the knots I already know.

At some point I?d like to set up at home and try all these other suggestions. Thank you for the help!

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 08:45:22 PM »
Hi gc

Have you thought of the KC Hitch, the 'beefed up' variant made with a loop might be ideal for this job.

Derek

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=551.0

gc

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 08:49:05 PM »
Hi gc

Have you thought of the KC Hitch, the 'beefed up' variant made with a loop might be ideal for this job.

Derek

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=551.0

That appears to require a separate loop of rope if I am understanding it correctly. That seems to double-up the complexity of the setup (more line to keep track of).

I did note the Highwayman's Hitch might be an interesting alternative to the slippery Bowline. I'll have to try that, and also post some photos here to show the attachment points for better reference.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 09:27:17 PM »
Hi gc,  are you thinking that the KC requires a loop plus a length of attaching cord?

I understood that the sandbags have hanging loops, so just toggle the end of the KC onto the sandbag loop.  You can either use separate toggles, or thread a toggle onto the KC loop so it is in-situ when you need it.

Two advantages come from using the KC.  First is that it is crazy simple to make the hitch, and second, it is just as easy to 'untie' it.

Derek

gc

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 11:28:08 PM »
Hi gc,  are you thinking that the KC requires a loop plus a length of attaching cord?

I understood that the sandbags have hanging loops, so just toggle the end of the KC onto the sandbag loop.  You can either use separate toggles, or thread a toggle onto the KC loop so it is in-situ when you need it.

Two advantages come from using the KC.  First is that it is crazy simple to make the hitch, and second, it is just as easy to 'untie' it.

Derek

I see now, the loop and hitch is the entire "knot", and then a toggle or carabiner could be used to attached to the sandbag eyelet.

that's an interesting question: does the attachment point height make a difference? Would the effectiveness of the sandbags be the same if KC hitched to the bottom of the leg, near the sandbag, or does attaching it to the main canopy frame up top confer any additional advantages?

I have this uninformed gut reaction that attaching to the top canopy frame somehow adds more effectiveness, but that may be totally wrong.

But yeah I was perceiving your solution incorrectly at first. I thought it needed additional cordage.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:29:03 PM by gc »

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2018, 06:58:13 PM »
My Gazebo instructions state that anchor weights must be fixed to the feet of the legs and that heavy loads must not be attached to the canopy structure. - hope this helps.

gc

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 10:52:29 PM »
My Gazebo instructions state that anchor weights must be fixed to the feet of the legs and that heavy loads must not be attached to the canopy structure. - hope this helps.

Interesting. you'd think they would have actual attachment points for the weights on the legs. Mine have only holes for spikes, which do no good on pavement or with weights.

Z

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 06:22:59 AM »
This is an obvious application of a Trucker. Done.
If you're reading this, it's too late.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »
What is a Trucker and what does it do?

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 12:59:41 AM »
The current champ is a slippery Bowline paired with the Trucker?s Hitch.
The Bowline isn't used to attach to the upper canopy frame,
and the Trucker's Hitch allows me to hoist the sandbag before tying off.  ...
This has gone unremarked, but you must mean "IS"
sans negation (which otherwise leaves us with nothing)!?

Seems you could tie off to the legs with any variety
of gripping hitches --possibly *guardes* with a simple
half-hitch or double--, and hoist bag while (even whilst)
sliding the hitch into tension.  (One might also put in the
turn-or-two "guard" hitch and then complete --this guard
holding adequately-- the upper full friction hitch.

--dl*
====

ps : "Trucker", Derek, is short for "trucker's hitch"
--that tensioning structure involving a 3:1 (much
mitigated by friction) advantage.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »
ps : "Trucker", Derek, is short for "trucker's hitch"
--that tensioning structure involving a 3:1 (much
mitigated by friction) advantage.

Thanks Dan, I was being a pedant - a 'Trucker' is a person who drives trucks.

The TH does not solve this request, it is simply an adjuster/ tensioner, not a spar hitch so I was interested to hear how Z would use it to hitch the sandbag to the leg.

Derek