Author Topic: Tying a stick basket together?  (Read 918 times)

hgoat

Tying a stick basket together?
« on: June 29, 2017, 01:38:14 PM »
Hello, I'm trying to find the preferable knot to use when binding sticks together to create a "basket", with the sticks being placed down in a # shape then continued to be stacked up into a basket shape preferably just using a single piece of cord on each of the 4 edges not individual knots at each join. Is there a name of the knot that I should be looking for?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:42:26 PM by hgoat »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Tying a stick basket together?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 05:07:06 PM »
Would it look like this?:

If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

hgoat

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 05:25:03 PM »
Similar but not exactly, no handle and instead have the sticks just stacked on top of each other so there would be gaps between them and that is what I mean.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 07:27:02 PM »
Similar but not exactly, no handle and instead have the sticks just stacked on top of each other so there would be gaps between them and that is what I mean.
I'd imagine you'd want to do a scaled-down version of standard wrapping and frapping (i.e. wrapping the exposed wraps to choke them tighter).  Something like:

or

You probably don't need a lot of wraps per intersection.  As long as your line is small enough, it should work without too much trouble.  You just need to maintain some tension as you work.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:37:54 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

hgoat

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 03:53:24 PM »
OK, thanks Roo. What would be the preferred cordage to use? I've tried hoochie cord but it's awful at holding a knot like this, I guess something that has more "grab" and a bit more stretch would be ideal.

EDIT: Just bought tarred nylon, seems like it fit both criteria.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 04:07:17 PM by hgoat »