Author Topic: Traditional Fender Makers?  (Read 14076 times)

maxinea

Traditional Fender Makers?
« on: November 17, 2006, 05:20:45 PM »
Does anyone know any good traditional fender makers in the Northwestern area?

Replies appreciated

Max

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
Re: Traditional Fender Makers?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 05:50:20 PM »
Hi Maxinea and welcome,

Northwestern area of where?

Derek

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 09:20:17 PM »
Hi Maxinea,

If you are in NW USA, try Dennis Armstrong in Seattle; if in NW England, try Colin Jones.  I am in the SW USA and probably too far away, but I make them also.

Lindsey

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 12:08:58 AM »
NW England?
How about Chester, Cheshire?

dwfenders@yahoo.co.uk

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

KnotNow!

• IGKT-PAB PAST PRESIDENT
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 12:15:51 AM »
Dennis Armstrong operates under his shop name "The Knotted Line" and has advertisments in Wooden Boat Magazine.  Colin Jones has a very nice book, "The DIY Book of Fenders, available through the IGKT guild supplies.  I am in the PNW USA, I do make fenders,  but my plate is too full at present, however would like to email back and forth on this topic if you wish.  Good luck.  I am sure you will find what you need.
ROY S. CHAPMAN, IGKT-PAB BOARD.

maxinea

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 11:22:41 AM »
North western area of the UK, Does anyone have any contact details for any food traditional fender makers in this area of the UK?

Fairlead

• IGKT Member since 1984 - IGKT Librarian
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 03:21:42 PM »
The one Willeke gave you above - D W Fenders (David Walker) Saltney in Chester - is your best bet

Gordon

KnotNow!

• IGKT-PAB PAST PRESIDENT
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 04:39:27 PM »
Great fun, eh what?  With shipping cost getting to be a small part of the total cost then good craft work may be the same at USA, PNW or England NW, so the cost looks the same?  It seems that I can send stuff worldwide for what I call "chump change" but it seems that the shipping from other nations is a burden.  Some checking about may save us a happy dollar.
ROY S. CHAPMAN, IGKT-PAB BOARD.

Dave Walker

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 11:39:01 PM »
I am a traditional fender maker, can I help. I live  near Chester, North west England. I have been making canal boat fenders for about 15 years.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 11:29:51 AM »
Hi Maxinea,

Try this site http://indefatigable.pbwiki.com/Ropework .  The contact is a guy called Richard (a marine engineer), he lives the life and works off his narrow boat (which I think he built).

I have some of his ropework and fenders and they are excellent quality.

JG

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 01:22:22 AM »
Hi

Does the fender maker have to be in the NW specifically?  If not try Pete @ Tradline rope and fenders based at Braunston Northamptonshire.  Most will agree that tradlines fenders are reputably the best on the waterways.  Have a look at his web www.tradline.co.uk or call his workshop on 01788891761.   ;D

John

jasonr575

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 12:26:10 PM »
Are these fender practical?  Do they chaff quickly or are they long lasting and worth the time and $.  I am on the connecticut river in the us. 

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 05:49:42 PM »
HI Jason
Traditional fenders are normally reserved for those who have traditional vessels where the level of care is higher than a normal boater who leaves their vessel unattended for a while.  Care is needed because the manila line or hemp from which many fenders are made does wear out from the effects of chafe and the effects of water.  When the fenders are made in cotton of course the situation is far worse with regard to chafe and rot.  If the covering is of polyester line, it will last far longer than the manila, hemp or cotton, but then, looks are not improved as much as with perhaps a traditional organic line.  I guess the question is more of "how much chafe do you want it to take and how much is cost a factor?"  Traditional fenders are, after all, meant for traditional vessels using traditional materials which were expected to chafe but look good during the process. ;D

jasonr575

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 08:27:24 PM »
I only leave my boat for 5 days at the most, i was considering these for when i visit a new marina to show off a little,  I was hoping to try and make a set myself but hear it is still expensive.   i was considering buying the book for sale by the igkt .  does anybody have it or read it and can give me some advice,  the book is "how to make rope fenders"

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 09:27:56 PM »
How expencive it gets depends on how much you have to pay for the rope.
If you have access to used rope that still has some live in it it only costs time, if you have to pay new rope it will get dear very fast.
The book the IGKT has for sale tells you about all you need to know, but if you have questions left we are glad to answer them.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

anything