Author Topic: Traditional Fender Makers?  (Read 12425 times)

JG

Re: Traditional Fender Makers?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 10:53:52 PM »
Hi Jason

You don’t state in your posting what type of fenders you are looking for bow, stern or side fenders???  I suppose how robust the fender is will depend on the rope that they are made from as well as how well they are constructed and materials used.  You will have to take into consideration the waterway in which you cruse is it fresh water or salt water.  A good all round material is coir good in both fresh and salt-water environments and the abrasion qualities of coir are excellent and relatively inexpensive to buy. There a quite a few sellers of coir fenders around  in the UK at the moment have a look on ebay and go to ebay shops and type in carnwath rope and fender company they have a good range of nice coir and other fenders for sale.  Hope this is of some help.

J
 ;D

WebAdmin

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 11:14:32 PM »
Doesn't a lot depend on the type of boat the fenders are to be used on?    If it's a painted or varnished boat, wood or fibreglass, a fender made of natural fibres tends to pick up debris from the quayside and  will act as an abrasive.  Therefore, those ugly plastic inflatable fenders do have their uses, unfortunately.    You don't say what type of boat you have, Jason.

Lesley
Lesley
WebAdmin

JG

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 01:25:21 AM »
Very good point Lesley!!!

I have seen the "ugly plastic inflatable fenders " covered with half hitches to produce a very convinsing and quite an atractive fender in the past.  This may be a good starting point for someone who wants to start making fenders as the core is often the most difficult part to get right.

j
 ;)

jasonr575

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 07:28:39 AM »
Thanks!!   I think i will order the book and give it  a try. 

Fairlead

• IGKT Member since 1984 - IGKT Librarian
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 03:38:31 PM »
Well done Jason - I am sure you will enjoy making them.
Two tips that I picked up and would like to pass on:
1.  Make a model employing exactly the same techniques, but in small line, before you tackle the real thing.
2.  Do ensure that it has some give and is able to squash a little - a hard solid rope fender (like some people make) will put a nice dent in you boat rather than take the blow.

Gordon

WebAdmin

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 05:23:20 PM »
And another thing, Jeff says - ensure that the rope you are using is dry, then your fender will firm up nicely.   If you do use damp or wet rope, your fender will end up with 'brewer's droop' when dry.   :D
Lesley
WebAdmin

jasonr575

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 08:07:09 PM »
Wow you guys are great!! Thanks for all the info.  For those of you who asked questions this is what the fender will be going on:

I have a 37 ft morgan sailboat.  1976, Solid fiberglass hull,  Will be used in salt and brackish water on the connecticut river in the U.S.  Boat weighs about 9 tons.  Has a thick black rubber rub rail built in but it is up high.  I had the boat at a mooring last summer and am not sure wether i will be at a mooring or a slip in the spring.  These fenders will probably not be my fenders used at my home slip ( if there is one).  Will be used when going somewhere (to another port).  Basically for show.  i have inflatable fenders for when i am  not around. (although i do like the idea of covering those fenders as previously mentioned)   I really like the look of the rope fenders and thought it might be fun to make a few myself for the boat.  I like the look of hemp but was hoping for something more durable like poly.  I am in the us so rope in the uK is not practical for me.  There is however west marine, defender and boaters world in my area. and also several chain hardware stores like home depot and lowels.    I was looking mostly for side fenders but a nice bow fender for the occasion when i am pulling into a slip would be really nice. 

I am not a master at knotcraft by any means so i appreciate any and all advice.   I  plan on getting the book mentioned previously.  But if anybody had any clear and easy instructions, plans, pics or diagrams they could share that would be greatly appreciated. 
     Thanks for the great responses again and i look forward to more conversations with all of you.
jason

jasonr575

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 08:11:40 PM »
is there another name for "coir"  i have never heard of that.
jason

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 09:10:28 PM »
Coir is coconut fiber

Have a great time with your fender making!

I have a 27 ft Morgan and mine would definitely not do well with rope fenders, but I know of others with a 37 ft Morgan - very solid construction!  Be sure to mark the places on the hull (or at least know where they are) where the bulkheads are situated so that you don't put a fender where there is little to no real support! ;D

Lindsey

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 09:59:25 PM »
Jason,
If you like the look of hemp but want to get the quality of modern fibres, look for the hemp look-alikes.
There are several brands that have the kind of rope, all under different names.
And there is a lot of difference in how 'hemp' they look. It pays to have a good look around before you buy large quantities.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

jasonr575

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 04:44:17 AM »
i am curious as to why you say your boat will not do well with rope fenders?

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2006, 05:58:59 AM »
There are three principal reasons why: first, the only reinforcement to the hull is in the sandwich forward of the bulkhead by the head where the first four or five feet of the hull in the bow are reinforced with balsa as a core.  The fiberglass to the remainder of the hull will "oilcan" or produce ripples or waves along its length if there is too much load on one point - this is a racing hull, not a cruising hull and the fiberglass layup is remarkably thin.  Second, the hull shape is such that a fender hanging straight down from the sheer will not touch the hull when the vessel is in the slip.  As such, when the vessel moves laterally with a wave or swell, there is a tendency for the hull to suffer from dynamic impact and that needs to be spread as widely as possible.  A vertical rope fender would not answer well to this, unless it were very wide (we could always lace two together!) and that is impractical on the basis of weight on the sheer.  A horizontal fender would work well, but would tend to droop into the salt water and wear out very quickly, apart from having problems with finding non-abrading suspension points (it is only a 27 ft hull length!).  Third, and this is not insurmountable, the hull is painted with a very weak paint.  A rope fender rolling or rubbing would quickly strip that paint and start to work through the gelcoat.  Until we replace the paint with a substantial epoxy coat (which we do not plan on doing for a couple of years) with more hard-wearing characteristics, we choose not to use traditional materials like manila or coir, both of which are very scratchy to the paint surface - it would be like using a Scotchbrite fender covering!  Now, if we had a more substantial hull such as yours or a wood hull, varnished or oiled, it would be more appropriate and would undoubtedly be worth the extra care it would take to keep the hull in great shape while protecting it from the (concrete) dock sides.  Meanwhile, we use multiple semi-inflated rubber condoms!  An expedient choice until we can do things (perhaps like getting one of those free boats in Classic Boat magazine?!) that will improve our situation.  :D