Author Topic: knot books.....  (Read 4221 times)

ambiguous

knot books.....
« on: December 22, 2006, 07:59:26 PM »
does anyone else find Geoffry Budworth's instructions on tying the 16L / 3B Turk's head difficult to follow? Or how about the 4L / 7B Turks' head? Or the Mobius Band?  All in the Complete Book of Decorative Knots...

And while i'm thinking of it...the Long Mat has an inconsistency in photographs. If followed exactly how it is pictured - it doesn't work.

Maybe I would be less irritated if I knew like everyone else....is this part of the plan to have each knot's design firmly established in one's mind? Intentionally drawing up false plans so the student must deduce on his own trials the correct steps to ensure a correct specimen?

I know these books are old...maybe these things have already been pointed out.
What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so. - Mark Twain

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
Re: knot books.....
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 08:21:55 PM »
ambiguous,
Geoffrey has written many books, and some of those have been published by different publishers in different countries, under different names.
Either I have missed the book you are talking about, or I have it with a different title. Can you give a little more information on which book you are talking about, publication date will be helpfull, publisher and language you have it in might help.
And wether there are drawings in the book, if so which colour, or photografs.
It seems silly, but sometimes I recognise a book by the colours of the diagrams.

In the Hamlyn book of knots, ornamental and usefull there are the knots you talk about, but the diagrams are drawings, not photos, the colours used are yellow/orange and blue/green.

Some people claim that Geoffrey is lefthanded, I have never asked and since I use both hands it has never been a problem to me. If you get stuck, look if using your other hand makes sense.

If you use the same book as I do, can you give the diagram where you find that things went wrong?
If you use a diifferent book, maybe too, so someone else can help you.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

ambiguous

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 09:44:03 PM »
The Complete Book of Decorative Knots: The Lyons Press, 1998, English, Drawings (Blue/White).
In regards to the Mobius Band 4L/14B, the 16L/3B Turk's Head and the 4L/7B Turk's Head.

The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots & Ropework: Hermes House, Updated 2002, English, Photos (Color).
In regards to the Long Mat.  In frame #7 and frame #8 there lies an inconsistency, but I suppose it starts in frame #5.  In frame #4 when making a long righthand bight...I'm knot sure how to explain what I see.  It could be the particular cord he chose to illustrate this mat (light blue w/ black specks), but
beginning from the base of the righthand bight up and over the initial round turn...it ought to show
U - O - U. Instead it shows O - O - U.
   This isn't a big deal now since it has been almost a year figuring.

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so. - Mark Twain

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 10:05:48 PM »
ambiguous
I have indeed missed the Complete Book of Decorative Knots, I thought I had all Geoffreys books till this year. I'll have to find this one second hand.

The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots & Ropework: Hermes House, Updated 2002, English, Photos (Color).
In regards to the Long Mat. In frame #7 and frame #8 there lies an inconsistency, but I suppose it starts in frame #5. In frame #4 when making a long righthand bight...I'm knot sure how to explain what I see. It could be the particular cord he chose to illustrate this mat (light blue w/ black specks), but
beginning from the base of the righthand bight up and over the initial round turn...it ought to show
U - O - U. Instead it shows O - O - U.
You are right, I think, there is a mistake, not just in the photos but also in the text.
In frame 5 the string should go under-over-under, instead of what he writes, over-over-under. In photos 5, 6 and 7 it does, in photo 8 the string goes as it should, u-o-u.
At least that is what I see in these photos, which could be clearer.

I had not seen it before, because I have known this knot longer than I have had this book.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

anything