Author Topic: Taut Hitch in Monofilament  (Read 1192 times)

vagary

Taut Hitch in Monofilament
« on: June 14, 2017, 12:51:11 AM »
I would like to create a wind harp out of re-purposed materials like this: video, description

To do that I need to get monofilament line taut between two nails. What's a hitch that can be tied under tension or add tension in monofilament line? I was thinking an HFP Slippery 8 Loop but I haven't tried it.

Twine

Re: Taut Hitch in Monofilament
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 01:58:23 AM »
Two years ago, we had a discussion involving the slippery 8 and a very good variation thereof, the so-called TALK knot AKA Quick 8.
See https://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=5247.0 for details.

The original poster used the TALK knot to make adjustable loops for kites, and if it was good enough for that purpose I'm sure it
will hold the strings of a wind harp taut with ease.

The Quick 8 or TALK knot is simply a Slippery Eight with the tail end reeved through the figure eight knot from the other direction.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 02:57:08 AM »
I would like to create a wind harp out of re-purposed materials like this: video, description

To do that I need to get monofilament line taut between two nails. What's a hitch that can be tied under tension or add tension in monofilament line? I was thinking an HFP Slippery 8 Loop but I haven't tried it.
The HFP Slippery 8 can add tension in monofilament.   I hope you tune yours to sound better than the video!   :)
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

vagary

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 04:09:58 AM »
Thank you guys!