Author Topic: left-handers, how do you tie knots?  (Read 1365 times)

alana

left-handers, how do you tie knots?
« on: May 20, 2017, 03:27:27 AM »
do you tie them in mirror-image to right-handed knots?
or do you just go about it the same way but with your dominant hand doing the work?
on animatedknots.com there is an image-flipper option which i think it cool, as i like some knots to go in a certain direction. is that something useful to you?
just wondering. what do you do? i have no idea!

Alain Bienvenue

Re: left-handers, how do you tie knots?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:57:28 PM »
I am a leftie also. Have been all my life.  ;)

For complicated knots, I first reproduce exactly the image or drawings.
Then, I analyze the path that the line would take to complete the knot without using left right, up, down, etc.
I use ideas like towards or away, around, same direction, reverse direction, over, under, etc. I analyze simpler knots that way directly from the reference, and usually tie them the first time as a mirror image.

For example

a figure 8 stopper is: make a bight, cross the standing end, continue turning around the standing end away from loop, then back in the loop.

a buntline is: make a bight, cross the standing end, continue turning around the standing end away from loop, continue around the standing end part inside the loop. Verify that you have a clove hitch around the standing end with the free end towards the loop.

Simpler knots have simpler references: rope end on sheet bend must be on the same side, rope end on harness bend must be on opposite sides, rope end must finish inside the loop of a bowline.

Once you have these mental instructions, you can tie the knots in any direction or orientation.
Although it is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness, a blind man will never see, no matter how many candles are lit.

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 03:52:14 PM »
I recall some simple research done by an IGKT member (Prof Dick Clements I think but apologise if I have taken his name in vain) with a set of his students, He found that when tying the reef or square knot whether an individual started by left over right or right over left was nothing to do with handedness but simply reflected how they had been taught.

Sweeney

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 04:37:53 PM »
... when tying the reef or square knot ...
But in this case, both directions of "throw" must be done,
and it's only a matter of order (with possibly some effect
in laid rope).  I have taken to mirroring my shoe-lace
tying (as though anyone but me will notice, eh?!  ::)
and ironically it was the new-to-me order that came
to feel perhaps somehow better.

--dl*
====

alana

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 05:10:54 AM »
... thanks all!

Hrungnir

• Exp. Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »
I do like Alain Bienvenue copy the knot exactly like in the diagram, when learning something new that I consider difficult.

Some knots I have learnt to tie as a right hander. Like the Bowline knot was difficult to mirror and get it right as a left hander. The name "left handed bowline" for a similar knot, confused me as well. Because of this I thought for a while that a Bowline couldn't be tied with the left hand. After further investigation, I see that a perfect bowline can be tied after the same instructions with both hands.

The "overhand knot" seems to be difficult and confusing for a left hander. It just feels natural to tie a "under hand" knot or whatever it is called in the right handed world  ;D

Frayed Knot Arts

• Knot too smart at times....
    • Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 03:47:33 PM »
It took me forever to be able to tie either the three or five strand turksheads as a left-hander would... no matter the amount of time  I spent, I would ALWAYS start out with the "X" set for a right hander, then sit and stare while I wondered what the (Censored) I was doing wrong THIS time!  Eventually I simply beat my brane into submission and can now tie the turksheads either right or left handed, but it's only the last six years or so, and I'm 72, so youse may want to figger this out somewhat faster, y'know?

http://www.frayedknotarts.com/images/coxcomb/pax/016L.jpg

Some knots and braids will, by their nature, close the lay of the line [assuming that you're using 3-strand cotton/hemp/flax) or open the lay, producing a small but (to me) noticeable difference in the dimension of the sennit / braid or some knots.   When doing a steam gasket in cotton, I find that a bit of a thumb roll on the lines as they cross over will keep the sennit neater and tighter looking IMO, but, like the lad who mirrors his shoelaces .  (Good on yer, too!  Mirroring is a major reason to learn braids, knots and the like both ways, just to see if someone suddenly does a double-take when they notice it.)

I'm easily amused, obviously....