Author Topic: Transom Hitch as a ring hitch?  (Read 1356 times)

Celo_11

Transom Hitch as a ring hitch?
« on: June 12, 2017, 04:07:12 PM »
Recently discovered that a Transom Hitch works very well as a ring hitch (IMO). Holds fast and is relatively easy to untie. Looks quite similar in construction to the Anchor Bend and Fisherman's Bend but is not the same.

Haven't seen any reference to the Transom Hitch being used as a ring hitch. Have any of you used this knot in this way or seen it done? Also would like your opinions on the suitability of this knot as a ring hitch.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Transom Hitch as a ring hitch?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:13:57 PM »
On cursory tests, as the elasticity of the line employed increases, the tendency of this to slither and roll increases.  I expect that friction variance would also impact stability.

If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

Celo_11

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 06:29:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I also noticed that as the rope diameter decreases relative to ring thickness you get the same problem. Suitable only with the right materials and in the right circumstance then I guess.

What would you recommend as a good looking and secure ring hitch that is easy to tie and untie with most materials?

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 06:38:02 PM »
What would you recommend as a good looking and secure ring hitch that is easy to tie and untie with most materials?

Try this:

http://notableknotindex.webs.com/gnathitch.html

"Good looking" is in the eye of the beholder.  It's very practical, though.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

Celo_11

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 06:43:24 PM »
That looks pretty good, thanks. I'll give it a go.

anything