Author Topic: Proper knot for rolling up a blanket or bedroll  (Read 12271 times)

Adrian Jones

Proper knot for rolling up a blanket or bedroll
« on: November 14, 2006, 01:13:25 PM »
Hi folks,

I have a furniture remover's blanket that I would like to roll up with rope.  The only requirements would be easy to tie and easy to spill. What would you suggest?  The closest I have got from Clifford Ashley's book is a series of half hitches.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to tie up the two ends of the rope.

Regards,  Adrian

Znex

Re: Proper knot for rolling up a blanket or bedroll
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 03:07:15 PM »
The chain stitch lashing from Roo's page may be what you are looking for... http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/chainstitchlashing.html

Also, the start and finish could be changed to suit your needs.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 05:56:10 PM »
Hi folks,

I have a furniture remover's blanket that I would like to roll up with rope.  The only requirements would be easy to tie and easy to spill. What would you suggest?  The closest I have got from Clifford Ashley's book is a series of half hitches.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to tie up the two ends of the rope.

Regards,  Adrian

How big and bulky is your "blanket"?  If it's not too big, it seems like you could just tie it up with a cord or two using the knot you use to tie your shoes, such as a doubly-slipped reef knot.  Keep the roll compact and tight with your knee as you apply the knot.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 09:12:29 PM »
I have done a blanket roll where I roll the blanket into itself.  I fold the blanket into thirds (or fourths), to make a long narrow shape.  I then roll it like a sleeping bag.  Just before I get to the end, I fold over the last few feet of blanket toward the roll, and open up a pocket in the folds of the blanket.  Then I roll the blanket into the pocket.  It holds without a tie off, makes a convenient handle (for a short period of time), and opens up easy.  If I need a more substantial handle, I tie a rope around it with a reef knot.

It might take a few tries to get a good feel for how much material to fold over to make the pocket, but this is a very clean blanket roll.

Pat

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 09:56:07 PM »
When I was in Australia we used swags, provided by the travel compagny.
Most of them where tied with a piece of rope, even the one used by the guide.
These pieces of rope had an eye (bowline or overhand loop) in one end and the other end was melted or taped to avoid fraying.
To tie the rope, you would pull the end through the loop and make a slipknot, round the rope. 
To secure it further you could make a monkeychain of two or three loops long, longer was not needed at all.
This way you could pull the rope rather good tight and would not slip when tied.
In the photo you can see the pile of swags, between unloading and setting up camp.

In the drawing you see how to tie the knot, but in a rather scetchy way.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 12:19:20 AM »
Hi folks,

Regards,  Adrian

Because I do not know the "Proper Knot" for this job, I would probably use the Ajustable Grip Hitch as featured recently in the Drum Loop Thread

and on Dave Roots site

http://www.layhands.com/knots/Knots_Hitches.htm

Slide it tight to hold the blanket, slide it back to release.  Once tied all you need to do is slip on the loop and ajust it.

Derek