Author Topic: Newbie knot question  (Read 1471 times)

whatknot?

Newbie knot question
« on: February 02, 2017, 01:28:11 AM »
Hello. I am doing some research on 18th century ships and have a knotty problem I am hoping some kind users may assist with.

Question: What knot did sailors use to secure one line to another?

Note: I do not mean for the purpose of joining two lines,  but to secure a smaller line to a bigger, anchoring one; for example, tying a sheet to a mainstay?

Twine

Re: Newbie knot question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »
Is it a common nautical thing to attach sheets to the mainstay? Just curious. Anyway, to attach a smaller line to a larger, when you are expecting a lengthwise load, the Icicle Hitch is probably what would be recommended today, what with the slipperiness of modern materials. Ashley's Book of Knots has a whole chapter dedicated to hitches to masts, rigging and cable (chapter 22) and in that chapter forty different knots are depicted, among them the rolling hitch and the timber hitch with an additional half hitch.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

Knutern

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 01:19:21 AM »
The Sailor Hitch with multiple turns should perform better than the Icicle Hitch - that said, I have no sources what was commonly used back in those days.
I'm aiming for knots that is secure, AND that is easy to untie.

whatknot?

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »
Thanks to both the above posters for their replies, and my apologies for not acknowledging your posts earlier. The fact is I logged out of the forum, forgot the name of it, and have only just now found my way back.

That said, I am now off to research the mentioned hitches along with Ashley's Book of Knots. Thank you.