Author Topic: What Knot Will Do This?  (Read 3110 times)

KenRyan

What Knot Will Do This?
« on: January 12, 2017, 05:12:30 AM »
I'm new here. I seem to have caught the knot-tying bug:). I was hoping to ask about one particular knot, hoping to find out if someone knows what I'm talking about.

I have one of those portable garage pavilions with the steel frame, and I have a canvas roof that cinches around the top of the steel frame. There is a loop in a rope at one end that threads along the bottom of the canvas roof. After going all the way around the frame, the loose end of the rope needs to be tied to the loop. I hope this can be visualized.

I need to thread the loose end through the loop, double back and put lots of tension against the loop, and then somehow tie it off without loosing the tight cinch. Does that sound like something that a specific kind of knot would be right for?

One thing that someone showed me once about this was that after i pulled the loose end through the loop and pulled it back with all the tension. He said you can hold all kinds of tension just by pinching the part of the loose end that I doubled back through the loop against itself, and then.....tying something:-P. I can't remember how to secure the loose end onto itself without losing all the tension.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have an awesome app on my phone called Knots 3D that has what seems to be every "practical" knot I'd ever want to know. So it if there is a certain kind of know that will work for this, I just need to know its name.

Thanks!

Ken

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: What Knot Will Do This?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 05:22:27 AM »
I'm new here. I seem to have caught the knot-tying bug:). I was hoping to ask about one particular knot, hoping to find out if someone knows what I'm talking about.

I have one of those portable garage pavilions with the steel frame, and I have a canvas roof that cinches around the top of the steel frame. There is a loop in a rope at one end that threads along the bottom of the canvas roof. After going all the way around the frame, the loose end of the rope needs to be tied to the loop. I hope this can be visualized.

I need to thread the loose end through the loop, double back and put lots of tension against the loop, and then somehow tie it off without loosing the tight cinch. Does that sound like something that a specific kind of knot would be right for?

One thing that someone showed me once about this was that after i pulled the loose end through the loop and pulled it back with all the tension. He said you can hold all kinds of tension just by pinching the part of the loose end that I doubled back through the loop against itself, and then.....tying something:-P. I can't remember how to secure the loose end onto itself without losing all the tension.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have an awesome app on my phone called Knots 3D that has what seems to be every "practical" knot I'd ever want to know. So it if there is a certain kind of know that will work for this, I just need to know its name.

Thanks!

Ken

You might look at a Versatackle to see if it will work:

http://notableknotindex.webs.com/Versatackle.html
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

KenRyan

Re: What Knot Will Do This? Around Top Of Tent
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 02:30:09 AM »
I'm circling around on this, adding a bit more info on the title. I'm hoping to find this info before March.

Thanks!

Ken

KenRyan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 02:33:05 AM »

Thanks! That's not exactly it, but it sure looks useful. I'm adding it to my notes.

Thanks!

Ken

KenRyan

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 04:30:41 AM »
Roo,

While looking at this I came across the Trucker's Hitch and that is VERY close to what I need. The only difference is that the loop is at the end of the "top" rope (in a Trucker's Hitch). The "bottom" (loose) end of the rope that goes through the loop does not have two lines of rope to wrap around, it does not cinch up to finish the knot.

I hope this clears up what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Ken

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 05:32:09 PM »
Good day Ken.

One way to do what you'd like to is to use a Becket hitch. Similar to a sheet bend, but using the fixed loop as one half of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Becket_hitch_knot.png
Draw tension and finish as shown in the link. You may lose some tension, although it could be minimal.

SS

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 12:31:38 AM »

Thanks! That's not exactly it, but it sure looks useful. I'm adding it to my notes.

Thanks!

Ken
Or maybe "not exactly" but closEnuff?!

Ken, if you tie the mid-line eyeknot ("loop") such as is shown
for the trucker's hitch / versatackle --and here, with the end
nearby, a bowline can work-- in your unlooped side,
that knot might serve two purposes : enable you to make
the versatackle eye-2-eye wraps & tensioning & locking,
and to be a bulky knob to resist having that side of the
line drawn back into the top's hem-channel!?

Although this conjecture above does require that the line
fitted to your top be so conveniently long as to give reach
for all of this --after being knotted for the mid-line eye!
(But if not, surely you can acquire a short piece of line
to be all of the loop-2-loop connection after tying an
eyeknot in the unlooped(already) side.)

--dl*
====