Author Topic: TH interweave theory  (Read 4888 times)

Gedep

TH interweave theory
« on: January 02, 2017, 09:01:55 AM »
Hi there,

I'm Arjan and new at this forum. I've been knotting for a while now, mostly Turks heads and by now I'm done working alongside YouTube tutorials. I'm looking form some theory. I've seen some sketchy books, a lot of tutorials, but the THEORY is still not clear to me.

What bothers me are two things (I think they relate to each other):
- some tutorials end up with Turks heads starting with O-U-O..., others with U-O-U. Does this have consequences for starting an interweave?
- let's say I want to do a gaucho interweave. Some tutorials start left on the left-hand side of the standing end, others on the right-hand side. Same for pineapple interweave etc.

Can someone shed some light on this? I'm interested in the theory of it all.

Thanks
Arjan

BTW Happy new year to all of you! :)

Gedep

Re: TH interweave theory
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 12:29:39 AM »
No answers.
I'll give a setup:
I'm familiar with the over-under theme with TH's. Also about splitting pairs. What I would like to learn is how to start different interweaves.
Do you start the interweave with two unders for a pineapple interweave. Do you finish the first pass with two unders for a gaucho interweave?

This is what I'm interested in. How do you setup the different interweaves?

I've been unable to find information on this and would like to learn. I can imagine more people would like this too. I want to be free of simply following YouTube tutorials and think for myself.

Please could anyone help me?

oldpete

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 03:56:13 PM »
I do not know if the following will help you
   http://www.mountain-moments.co.uk/web%20components/whips/Glossary%20of%20knots%20and%20tapering%20lace.pdf 
 It mentions a book by Ron Edwards, that I love, but it is not cheap (I got mine second-hand). It is more diagrams rather than theory.

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 04:26:53 PM »
Hello Gedep.

There are additional authors to find and read: Bruce Grant, A.G. Shaake & J.C. Turner (The Braider), Clifford Ashley, etc.
Some of the Turks head grid-makers could give you insight as well.

SS
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:13:11 PM by SS369 »

oldpete

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 05:49:26 PM »
A.G. Shaake & J.C. Turner (The Braider) (if you can get a copy) is possibly the most complete mathematical theory on turks heads, one plagiarised by so many. (copies of the complete Braider were a few years ago available on disc.)
The guild also now has James Edwards Harveys 'A Comprehensive Text of Turks Head Knots. for sale, a lot of good but hard reading

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 06:22:54 PM »
Here are two online links to the volumes of The Braider.
One is J C Turner's website (coauthor) http://jcturner.co.nz/the-braider-journal/
And a IGKT member's site http://www.frayedknotarts.com/files/braider/

I have to assume that they are with permission.

Enjoy the reading.

SS

Gedep

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 11:00:14 PM »
Thank you for your replies. I'll try to get some copies of the suggested books.
In the meantime I started a new project.
I made a 5B22L TH and wanted to do a gaucho interweave. I started by following the standing end ending with an over two. I thought this would result in a gaucho pattern, but it gave me a pineapple interweave!

Grrr. Frustrated

Gedep

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 11:48:25 PM »
Okay, a short update.
I made a 3 pass gaucho knot with three colors. The result is very nice. I tied it around a walking stick. Now I want to tie two similar knots in all black next two the two sides of the 3-colored one.
I ran into the same problems as before. Splitting pairs is easy with different colored strands, but now that it's all black, I'm running into problems again.
I'll return to reading again.

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
Try tying your base knot in black then tracing the interweave in a light colour. Once the weave is complete replace the light cord with black (which is very difficult to see). Takes longer but might save time in the long run.

Sweeney

Gedep

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 12:34:26 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I thought of this already, but wanted to save time indeed.
And I also ended up spending more time indeed.

Gedep

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 05:47:25 PM »
Well, I learned a lot.
In the meantime I tied two turks head knots as wraps for walking sticks.
I'm quite proud, so I'd like to share them. Let me know what you think. Any critical feedback? Things for improvement?

Groundline

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 03:52:57 AM »
- some tutorials end up with Turks heads starting with O-U-O..., others with U-O-U. Does this have consequences for starting an interweave?

I have always used the U-0 vs O-U starts to produce right or left handed work where say in working up a becket you want a symetricaly visual effect on opposite sides of close Proximity.
Don't look at the Sun.

anything