Author Topic: a knot to tie a cabinet shut?  (Read 5224 times)

irongiant14

a knot to tie a cabinet shut?
« on: May 23, 2016, 06:38:06 PM »
Hello, knot tyers!

I've joined your group to ask a question I haven't been able to answer with my own ingenuity, Google or my knot reference book, The Art of Shen Ku. I have tied a few knots in the past but am a novice. I wonder if I have looked right at the knot I should use but don't know what I'm seeing. Or, is this simply a problem that should be solved other than with a knot?

I want to tie my bathroom cabinet closed, as a way of child-proofing. The cabinet doors swing out, opening at the center. Near the center, each door has a metal handle, in the shape of a staple, that should be easy to tie to.  Is there a knot -or some kind of parachute cord way- that will tie the two cabinet handles together so the doors stay closed tightly? Would this be too complicated in practice to open and close? Or is there a knot method, like if i put the rope through a hole drilled in a small block, that would make this knot easy to tie and release for an adult but hard for kids?

Your guidance is appreciated.
Don't know knotting!

Dan_Lehman

Re: a knot to tie a cabinet shut?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 09:01:19 PM »
Are the shaped-of-a-staple door handles oriented
with their openings horizontal --such that one might
insert a strip of wood through them to keep them
closed?

Tying with rope probably won't keep them "closed tight"
but resist opening much --too little for even small hands
and arms to reach into.

--dl*
====

irongiant14

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 02:43:16 AM »
Thanks for your reply. The openings are horizontal, so I could put a strip of wood in. I hadn't thought of that.
Don't know knotting!

Tangled

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 08:24:52 PM »
What about conventional childproofing locks?  I use the Safety 1st Side By Side Cabinet Lock or the Dreambaby Sliding Lock for temporary security on various cabinets.

If you're intent on a knotting solution, use a Truckers Hitch finished with a Slippery Sheet Bend instead of two Half Hitches.  Reeve the running end of the rope through the Slippery Sheet Bend loop and lightly snug the loop down over it to prevent little hands from accidentally pulling it loose.  I use this knot to keep my car kit (8 gallon Rubbermaid box) from sliding around in the cargo area.

http://www.animatedknots.com/truckers/index.php#ScrollPoint
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:32:00 PM by Tangled »

irongiant14

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 08:15:20 PM »
Thank you, Tangled! I did wind up buying a conventional childproof lock for just a few dollars and it's doing the trick for now. But your suggestion is really interesting! I'll work on learning the Truckers Hitch, from your helpful link. Hopefully I'll get a chance to use it soon.
Don't know knotting!