Author Topic: A couple related bends  (Read 1216 times)

Tom_Zal

A couple related bends
« on: May 15, 2016, 06:27:07 PM »
I stumbled on a linked-overhands bend a few days ago - I'm interested to know if it's been seen before. Edit: I've been informed by knotsaver it is Diamond Bend (M. B7) shown in Roger Miles' Symmetric Bends.

Also, recently Alan Lee posted about a modification of the Alpine Butterfly created by replacing the overhand knots with Figure-8s, and when I tried doing the same for some other linked-overhand knots, most looked like a couple double-harness-bend collars had been grafted on, but those collars seemed to integrate perfectly with this knot.

Overhand version

top:

bottom:

"front":

semi-loose:

This version is compact, appears to be stable, secure and non-jamming, it's as easy/hard to tie as the Zeppelin, but it requires careful attention to dressing (pull alternately, and gently, on standing ends and tails). Not a practical knot. The final form appears stable though.

The linked-Figure-8s version

top:

front:

bottom:

loose:

This version also appears to be stable, secure and non-jamming, and it dresses and sets itself by pulling on the standing ends only. And I'm not saying it's easy to tie, but here's one method:

"B" is for "barn"

The rabbit goes in the barn door and up to the loft.

Then out the window and under the fence

and back to it's cozy hay-loft home.

I don't think this knot has an advantage over the Zeppelin (and perhaps many others) in any respect, and therefore can't be said to be a practical knot. But I thought I'd run it up the flagpole anyway.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:23:00 PM by Tom_Zal »

knotsaver

Re: A couple related bends
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
I stumbled on a linked-overhands bend a few days ago - I'm interested to know if it's been seen before.

Hi Tom_Zal,
it is the Diamond Bend (M. B7) shown in Roger Miles' Symmetric Bends ( p. 88, 109, 125).
Ciao,
s.

Tom_Zal

Re: A couple related bends
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 09:16:52 PM »
Thanks, knotsaver. That was a quick identification, you must really know your knots!