Author Topic: RIP: Gordon Perry (MBE)  (Read 2302 times)

Dan_Lehman

RIP: Gordon Perry (MBE)
« on: January 07, 2016, 06:18:20 AM »
I am sorry to convey the sad news of long-time IGKT
member Gordon Perry's passing beyond earthly horizons.
I am told that he died at the end of 2015 (12/31) of cancer.

I had the pleasure of meeting Gordon at the IGKT meeting
at the Mariners Museum in Norfolk, Virginia (2003), where
he liked to show the quick-tying of the tugboat bowline, IIRC.

Here, let me quote a brief bio of him presented in his knots book
(Barnes & Noble <c> 2002/3):

Gordon Perry learned about knots in the late 1940s in his home town of Margate,
England, as a Cub, then as a Sea Scout and Sea Cadet.  Practical experience came with
shrimp trawling, lobster fishing, and sea angling.  A career spanning 40 years in the
Royal Navy culminated in 1994 as a lieutenant Commander.  During this time, aside
from the practical use of knots and rope, he practised decorative ropework as a hobby.
  Gordon is a long-standing member of the International Guild of Knot Tyers,
and on-time editor of their magazine, Knotting Matters.  He is now retired from the
Royal Navy and works part-time as a Telecommunications Consultant.  In 1992, he
was awarded the MBE by her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second.

He will be missed.

--dl*
====

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: RIP: Gordon Perry (MBE)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 03:38:36 PM »
Always sorry to lose a person who contributed to our passion.

RIP Gordon Perry.

SS

asemery

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 01:28:59 PM »
I am sorry to hear this sad news.  I never met Gordon in person but did enjoy conversations with him on Dan Callahan's "Knot Chat" when that was in operation.  His books are an important part of my library and a wonderful contribution to the knot tying world.  RIP

SlipJig

• A Happy IGKT Member!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 01:09:09 AM »
On no other basis than being a fellow Guild member, Gordon went out of his way to arrange for himself and Ken Yalden to meet up with me at Portsmouth in 2005 when I was in England on a work trip, and came armed with a generous gift of one of his books and a sample of his work in Australia's sporting colours of green and gold.

I'd had occasional email conversations with him over the years, starting from my first queries about the Guild years before I actually joined, initially sparked by him picking up on a defense-related acronym in my then-project email footer.

I didn't manage to catch up in person on a following UK trip a few years later but he was very helpful to me with local advice on planning a few side excursions including Chatham. There were other offers of hospitality and a trip to Canterbury Cathedral that would have been made but for his health issues that were nonetheless greatly appreciated.

Gordon's kindness to someone he didn't know from the other side of the world was the first of a few such experiences I've had through the IGKT, and I am sad to learn of his passing, especially after such a long period of ill health.

Requiescat in pace.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:21:41 AM by SlipJig »

Frayed Knot Arts

• Knot too smart at times....
    • Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 09:35:21 PM »
A lovely sentiment and one to which I would wholeheartely subscribe.  We've lost a stellar light from our community.

Dan

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 07:06:48 PM »
Gordon was the first person I met from the Guild.
He was in Charleston, SC on business and called me up out of the blue for a chat and get together.
Though this was our first meet, he presented me with a small spool of Egyptian Cotton that is no longer produced. To this day, I have only used it for the Christening Bottle for the Spirit of South Carolina. A gift that I truly treasure.
From the meetings here in the USA and the AGMs in England, Gordon's presence was one that everyone noted and took pleasure in talking to and learning from.
He always went out of his way to make my trips to England special, once a special tour of the ropewalk in Chatham and another was a plane ride around Portsmouth and the surrounding area.
Gordon's personality was unique, always the proper British Naval Officer. On a trip here to Charleston, as we walked around the historic Holy City, I was pointing out the late 1700s and early 1800s building. His response simply was, "Dan, that was yesterday."
He will always be a member of the Guild that I will think of and remember in my heart.
God Bless as he has set sail and passed over the bar.

Dan Machowski
Past President IGKT