Author Topic: Bit of a mystery on a missing member?  (Read 4371 times)

Frayed Knot Arts

• Knot too smart at times....
    • Frayed Knot Arts
Bit of a mystery on a missing member?
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:32:48 PM »
As most of you know, I have a fairly well travelled website for knots and knotting, and I have gotten six or seven enquiries in the past few months asking if I had a contact for Don Burrhus of "The Turkshead Cookbook" fame.  I thought I had an address for Don in Central Florida but a letter sent there was returned, marked adressee unknown and several emails to the address which I have have never been answered, although - tellingly - neither have they bounced.  His website is still up and seems functional, but the last copyright date on it is 2011.

If anyone has information on Don and his whereabouts, I'm sure he'd appreciate that there are still folks interested in his wares. I know I would be.

Contact me using www.frayedknotarts.com/email.html

Thanks!

Vince Brennan

KenY

• Exp. Member
  • IGKT member since 1982- IGKT Past President
Re: Bit of a mystery on a missing member?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 04:08:23 PM »
Vince,

Have you tried Face Book ?  Don is still about.

Ken Y

Frayed Knot Arts

• Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 01:53:28 AM »
While Don's facebook page is still up, I can see no recent activity on it.

Forgive my seemingly intrusive curiosity on the subject! The reason I am pounding on this is twofold:

(1)  A very good knotter who was a frequenter of the Wooden Boat Forum disappeared from the forum suddenly last year.  We all thought he'd gotten a  job which was taking up his time, but it turned out he'd had a massive stroke which rendered him mostly immobile and in a precarious survival situation.  We'd never have found out about this except for his sister posting on the forum, which allowed some of us to mount a small rescue effort.

If anyone remembers back about seven years ago, a prolific and talented knottyer from the Yahoo "Knottyers Group", hight "Old Man Moo" also pulled a disappearing act and it turned out that he, too, had had a massive stroke which immobilized one side of his body and rendered him aphasic as well.

(2) At 71, we are flirting with one of my greatest fears for myself, and I just want to be sure that something similarly catastrophic has not happened to Don.

If someone has information that he's just crawled up in his own good hole and doesn't want to be buckarooed, let me know and I'll disappear.

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »
Hi Vince,

While I don't know about the whereabouts of Don, I do want to reply on one of the points you bring up, and that is about making arrangements in the event of an unexpected death.  Perhaps all of us who frequent this, or any other forums, should keep a list of those websites with our will.  That way, if in the event of the worst, you can leave instructions so the executor of your estate can go to the forums and make a brief announcement.

In the times we live in with social media being such a large part of our circle of friends, it is very hard to accept the loss of someone without knowing what happened.  There is no closure.  I hope that you are able to find out about Don.

Pat

Frayed Knot Arts

• Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 04:39:22 AM »
Indeed, a good thought and suggestion.  Most of us remember the void created by the sudden passing of Dan (Alaska Knots) Callahan, and it was only by accident I found out that Walter Seltzer had passed.

Most of us only see one another at conventions, the occasional maritime show or here in the ether, but the lack of physical interaction by no means lessens the importance of those of us foolish enough to be fascinated by this idiocy one to another.   

Frayed Knot Arts

• Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 05:40:30 AM »
Bluid(i) (heck!) Ten days wi' nae response?  Well,  so be it.  I've two respondents as hae sent a wee snail-mail packet to the address as they had... we'll see whae happens.

Sae wee a bit o' curiosity as to the possible troubles o' anither knottyer bodes nae sae well for the group as a whole, d'ye ken?

I'd hae thought we'd hae been a wee mair concerned.

SlipJig

• A Happy IGKT Member!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 02:47:43 AM »
Vince,

No intel to contribute but only further confirmation of your concern ... I caught up with m'learned friend and Colourful Local Knotting Identity Snapper Dave yesterday, and quite separate to your enquiry he asked if there'd been any news of Don round the traps. Don and Dave's regular contact stopped suddenly and Dave's had no reply for some time.

Madeleine

Frayed Knot Arts

• Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 02:15:49 PM »
OK!  Mystery solved.  Pat S. forwarded me the following email from Don:

Sorry about the delayed response.  I have been fighting some health issues and a bad ?work/life balance? for several months.  I love the majority of my ?day job? and work with some great people, but since two promotions last year, I?ve been working far more hours than I had been previously.

I am getting back into the swing of the knottool thing and beginning to reply to the backlog of inquiries from the last few months.

I appreciate your concern and the concern of the knotting community.

-Don Burrhus   

KenY

• Exp. Member
  • IGKT member since 1982- IGKT Past President
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 09:29:08 AM »
 Good News,  Well Done Vince a good piece of work.

It goes to show, as a Guild  we really are a family,  and as to the Knot Tying, once it is under your skin it is there for ever.

yours Aye

Ken Y

oldpete

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 06:59:39 PM »
I am so glad to hear that Don is OK, was very helpful to me when I first go into knotting.

capellagroup

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 05:47:07 AM »
Good news about Don being found.  Would have been a great loss if not.  He was a great help to me here in Oz, where there isn't much organised knotty activity.  I also endorse all the commentary above, now well out of date admittedly, about keeping an eye on each other.  At 69 last month, I will have to think about these things when I get old.
I ahve stopped work this month to care for my wife who has cancer.  I should also have some time to use some of the American cordage I have been accumulating over the last couple of years.  :)

JD

• Solent Branch of the International Guild of Knot Tyers
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 03:18:57 PM »
Does anyone know if Don is now selling his books again? Just that a couple of people have contacted me, saying that their emails remain unanswered.

Yablonsky

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 06:34:05 AM »
Has anyone heard from Don lately?
I?m really interested in his books and would be more than happy to help him setup ebook versions to help him get them sold and possibly provide some income without having to make the books manually.

Ken