Author Topic: Knot study guide (PACI)  (Read 5329 times)

alpineer

Re: Knot study guide (PACI)
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 06:45:26 PM »
Its actually the 'correct' orientation to show the structural detail of the Bowline and the Sheet Bend.

Dan Lehman has extensively counseled me (read extensively indoctrinated and assimilated me like the Borg) - to adopt his viewpoint that this is the correct way to show the structural details of a Bowline.

After years of Borg-like assimilation - I now believe him :)

I also checked with 'Z' on this forum and he didn't seem to object too loudly.

Mark

As for myself, I do not have, I have never had, and I will never have an issue with your statements regarding which perspective of the Bowline shows more detail. There are exceptions though, and that's fine.
HOWEVER, I do have, I always have had, and I will continue to have an issue, as long as you persist, with your label swapping/renaming of knot perspectives (i.e. front/rear). Doing so simply isn't necessary, and can only serve to increase the potential for confusion in the future.       

alpineer

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »

So each and every time you access my Intellectual Property - I expect you to say thankyou !

Mark G

This is a wonderful and totally Aussie way of managing affairs. I love it. Thankyou again Mark.

Wed

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 09:52:09 PM »
It's a simple matter to print to file once you've thanked Mark Gommers once.   ;)

It is very simple indeed. But it is a circumvention. It solves the symptom, not the problem. I plead to elevate the general mindset, without kicking the shins of the authors intent.

I can't think of anything else to add.

agent_smith

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 05:16:17 AM »
alpineer,

Although Dan has assimilated me (like the Borg) in many areas of thinking, he hasn't yet used his Jedi mind trick with regard to labeling of the 'front/rear' aspect of the Bowline.

He may decide to use the force to turn me to his view point (no pun intended) - so I will have to be prepared for anything.

I think the jury is still out on what the proper naming convention ought to be...I did ask 'Z' for his opinion but, he hasn't given me any clear insights either (and he is a professor).

Mark

alpineer

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 06:35:15 AM »
Good Luck, and, may the F.... Oh Damn! I can't say that, can I.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 09:19:09 AM »
Its actually the 'correct' orientation to show the structural detail of the Bowline and the Sheet Bend.

Dan Lehman has extensively counseled me ...

I also checked with 'Z' on this forum and ...
Thoroughness might dictate going from A to Z,
but getting it right, only needs going from me.

HOWEVER, I do have, I always have had, and I will continue to have an issue, as long as you persist, with your label swapping/renaming of knot perspectives (i.e. front/rear). Doing so simply isn't necessary, and can only serve to increase the potential for confusion in the future.     
Alpineer might find it queer
and be affronted at what's labeled "rear"
to which we can only say
now it's done the proper way!

The main urge of Mark's that needs quelling
is his kernmantle's German (mis)spelling!!

--Anon., II  (who is wayyy past his bedtime)   :o

oldpete

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 09:03:23 AM »
Thank you for the booklet, very good However I don't think I will be climbing soon, but still  great read.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 08:59:07 PM »
Well done Mark,

Excellent piece of work, I appreciate how much effort goes into making stuff for others to use.

Keep up the good work, and ThankYou...

Derek

James Petersen

• Exp. Member
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »
Thank you, Mark, for your excellent work.

The earlier discussion about the password on the file raises some important issues that you really should address. First if you really want acknowledgement for all your work on the paper, a password isn't the way to do it. For those who are computer savvy, removing the password is brainlessly simple, and having to type in the password at each viewing might simply irritate others (who elect not to remove it).

Should you desire recognition (you should) for all the effort you have put into this project -- your intellectual property -- simply saying that you are releasing it into the "public domain", where works are not protected by copyright law (read "are no one's intellectual property"), is not enough. It needs protection under some kind of license. This isn't difficult, and your bowlines paper really does deserve such protection.

Using something like the "Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommerial-NoDerivs CC" seems like it would fit the bill perfectly. It would protect the work you have done, give you credit for your work, and allow people to copy and distribute it freely. Check out https://creativecommons.org/licenses for more info.

JP
                                                              7,1           Top
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 06:18:58 PM by James Petersen »

agent_smith

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 01:23:03 AM »
Thanks JP,

Full disclosure here:

I am actually considering removing my work from the public domain and making it 'fee for use' (ie user pays).

However, for those IGKT members who have made a positive contribution - they will continue to receive free copies.

Payment models I am looking into include:
[ ] research papers:  http://scienceblogs.com/digitalbio/2012/01/09/how-much-does-it-cost-to-get-a
[ ] Standards documents eg EN standards and the like (which are not free)

Note that the photography alone is very tedious and time consuming - and often requires considerable photoshopping/editing to enhance the images (not to mention the background research that goes into the producing document).

And thanks again for your advice.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:24:07 AM by agent_smith »

Knutern

• Exp. Member
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 03:45:11 AM »
Note that the photography alone is very tedious and time consuming - and often requires considerable photoshopping/editing to enhance the images (not to mention the background research that goes into the producing document).

Maybe a "Photo Studio Shooting Tent" would help making pictures of knots suitable for putting into books.
I'm aiming for knots that is secure, AND that is easy to untie.

knot rigger

• Exp. Member
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 11:14:53 PM »
Mark

I would gladly pay for a copy of your study guide and I encourage you to pursue publishing your work. It's far better than many texts published on the topic

Have you looked into lulu.com?  My hard copy of Dave Merchant's Life on a Line is printed through them, and I believe I bought it direct via mr. Merchant's website IIRC

As for photography and photoshopping work, I would be happy to assist you if that's possible.  I've recently taught myself macro photography and photoshop to create product images for ecommerce.

The website is studio-carolina.com if you'd like to have a look

I don't have any blue kernmantle :(. But maybe I could assist you with the tedious task of masking out the raw images for you?   Message me if I can be of assistance

Cheers
Andy
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 11:19:46 PM by knot rigger »