Author Topic: Knot study guide (PACI)  (Read 8293 times)

agent_smith

Knot study guide (PACI)
« on: November 25, 2015, 03:53:54 PM »
Just announcing that I have uploaded VER 5.0a of the PACI knotting guide.

I have made this freely available in the public domain.

Password = thankyou

Go here to download it: http://www.paci.com.au/knots.php

File size is about 5.6 Mb

I welcome any critique - which will assist me to make the paper even better :)

Mark G
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 02:09:38 AM by agent_smith »

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Knot study guide (PACI)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 04:20:41 PM »
Thank you Mark !

SS

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 05:01:42 PM »
+1!

Sweeney

alpineer

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 05:23:19 PM »
Thank You Mark.

Wed

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 10:12:08 PM »
Public domain and password protected, doesn't go well hand in hand. And a few years from now, when I have forgotten the password, I'll have a worthless file in my repository of knowledge ...

Page 45, first sentence: "Pusik" (spelling error).

But anyway, Password!

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 10:32:51 PM »
Public domain and password protected, doesn't go well hand in hand. And a few years from now, when I have forgotten the password, I'll have a worthless file in my repository of knowledge ...

Page 45, first sentence: "Pusik" (spelling error).

But anyway, Password!

Hello Wed.

If you are keeping the file for posterity, then you could rename it and include the password in the file name.

SS

Wed

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 11:01:09 PM »
If you are keeping the file for posterity, then you could rename it and include the password in the file name.

I could. My personal preference is to avoid it if possible.

But I was thinking of a wider perspective. The file is in the public domain. But the data in it, is password protected. And everybody who didn't explicitly get the password here or at the download site, is protected from getting at it ...

Next time, I (or someone else) might have to resort to a reader that does not support passwords, but otherwise handle the pdf standard well. It failed with an error the first time I tried it. There is no telling what sort of conditions may occur, or to whom.

I just don't see the point of the password at all. The author may have a really good reason, though I don't know of it.

Release the valuable information to the public, is my view. All of it is possible to know, but this document puts it in context nicely.

agent_smith

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 02:16:03 AM »
I have amended the typo error on page 45.

Also made a few enhancements.

Barring any glaring errors or omissions, hopefully it can stay as is for a while :)

For those of you who object to passwords - I say this:

My mum always taught me to appreciate gifts from others. Think of this document as my gift to the world.
I have invested considerable time and energy to arrive at VER 5.0a - it is not an easy thing to do.

I remember the words of President Kennedy -  "we choose to go to the moon and do the other things...not because they are easy - but because they are hard..."

There is also no such thing as a free lunch.

So each and every time you access my Intellectual Property - I expect you to say thankyou !

Mark G

Wed

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 05:10:27 AM »
For those of you who object to passwords - I say this:
Passwords do have their place. But mainly to prevent data from being accessed.

My mum always taught me to appreciate gifts from others. Think of this document as my gift to the world.
I have invested considerable time and energy to arrive at VER 5.0a - it is not an easy thing to do.
Each and every one of us who do labour of love, or out of passion know this. Your document do contain goodies. The gift is wrapped with a gordian knot.

As the author, I had expected you to get the joy from the pleasure others get from it. Otherwise maybe charging for it would be a better solution.

I remember the words of President Kennedy -  "we choose to go to the moon and do the other things...not because they are easy - but because they are hard..."
He did say that, yes.

There is also no such thing as a free lunch.
However there is a lot of gain in data exchange. Some of the information in your document comes from contributors on this forum.

So each and every time you access my Intellectual Property - I expect you to say thankyou !
It is actually very easy to utter the word. I did it myself in my first response. Just in a convoluted form ... But living on the expectancy of merely having it spoken, would seem rather thin to me.

Appreciation of course, is a bit tricky. And we might perceive it differently. I claim to appreciate your work by reading and understanding the document. And also contributing, as I happened to find a bug and reporting it. That way you can further improve it. Such things to me, are more valuable.

Feedback is never going to come back in a 1:1 ratio. Far from 1% even. Another few percent would absorb and appreciate. Even more would glance and forget. But maybe once in a blue moon a life gets saved, or a death avoided. Even if the author never gets to know about it, surely it has value.

And so:
The document is yours. While the file is given to the public domain, the data within, are not. You even claim your intellectual property. This is my objection.

By that, I have said my piece.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:16:14 AM by Wed »

Birchhatchet

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 05:47:26 AM »
Thanks a lot Mark!

Especially the description of the attendant circumstances is quite illuminative to the reader.
One can't emphasize enough that only showing how to tie a specific knot is only half of the necessary information, maybe even less.

Birchhatchet

agent_smith

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 05:49:09 AM »
You even claim your intellectual property. This is my objection.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Maybe I should charge a fee.

Some have even said that I should author a book and approach a publisher to get it printed.

Many people say that I am too generous - and that others will just take but not give.

As for the suggestion that it is not my IP - I find that disturbing.

I'd be keen for you to produce something equivalent or better than what I have done and see what your approach would be. Would you be as generous and release it for free?

Mark

knotsaver

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 09:39:14 AM »
Hi Mark,
thank you for sharing.
a question:
page 19: why did you use a mirror image of the bowline (#1010)?
bye,
s.

agent_smith

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 11:02:14 AM »
Its actually the 'correct' orientation to show the structural detail of the Bowline and the Sheet Bend.

Dan Lehman has extensively counseled me (read extensively indoctrinated and assimilated me like the Borg) - to adopt his viewpoint that this is the correct way to show the structural details of a Bowline.

After years of Borg-like assimilation - I now believe him :)

I also checked with 'Z' on this forum and he didn't seem to object too loudly.

Mark

Wed

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 11:05:21 AM »
Some have even said that I should author a book and approach a publisher to get it printed.
Please do

and that others will just take but not give.
Fear not. They will mostly just take. Only very few will use the knowledge in a worthwhile way.

As for the suggestion that it is not my IP - I find that disturbing.
Sorry if I was unclear. It IS your IP. The objection is that you say it is in the public domain. It is available without charge (for the time being ...), but not very public.

I'd be keen for you to produce something equivalent or better than what I have done and see what your approach would be. Would you be as generous and release it for free?
Here: http://syntaxsociety.se/~wed/skrifter/skrifter.html

As for knotting, there are two or so embryos of mine in the decorative area.
Alaska Dan maintained the Pine apple knot forum until his death. It is still maintained by others who also put in their free time.
Vince Brennan has published freely tutorials of his livelihood, and tips and tricks at that.
This kind of list doesn't end.

In order to make this world a slightly better place to live, people contribute to the global encyclopedia (Wikipedia) and proofread old books on gutenberg.org. I have done at least two books myself on the Scandinavian version, runeberg.org.

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 05:13:31 PM »
It's a simple matter to print to file once you've thanked Mark Gommers once.   ;)