Author Topic: Please help me figure out what to use  (Read 1887 times)

BillD

Please help me figure out what to use
« on: September 17, 2015, 02:31:04 PM »
Hello, I'm new here and I was hoping you guys could help me out.

I'm trying to join two thimbles (one U-shaped and one round) together to form a kind of figure 8 with paracord. I'm using this for a lanyard clip on a sailing knife sheath. So basically this will give me a loop to connect my clip to. I need it to hold, but there won't be much weight on it. Can anyone give me some pointers or show me a good place to find this info?

I've found a lot of information on using one thimble, but not two close together.

Thank you for the help.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:34:43 PM by BillD »

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Please help me figure out what to use
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 05:48:29 PM »
Hello, I'm new here and I was hoping you guys could help me out.

I'm trying to join two thimbles (one U-shaped and one round) together to form a kind of figure 8 with paracord. I'm using this for a lanyard clip on a sailing knife sheath. So basically this will give me a loop to connect my clip to. I need it to hold, but there won't be much weight on it. Can anyone give me some pointers or show me a good place to find this info?

I've found a lot of information on using one thimble, but not two close together.

Thank you for the help.

Bill

Good day Bill and welcome.

You haven't said whether you will braid the cord to multi-strand and then wrap the thimbles. Or if you desire there to be a measurable space between the thimbles.

If the above is correct, then you could do a 4 strand round braid long enough to enclose both at a small or large distance from each other and then cover the joining knot or splice ((or whipped/glued in place) with a decorative covering, such as a Turks head knot, whipping , etc.

Just some ideas...

SS

asemery

Re: Please help me figure out what to use
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 11:41:29 PM »
This might be a case where the Matthew Walker Style Fiador Knot would be of use.  The loops can be adjusted to any size (around the thimbles) and when the knot is tightened the loops will not enlarge.  It is tied by folding a cord in half and tying the knot with the 2 strands of the loop and the 2 loose ends.  After the knot is finished trim the loose ends.

Here is how it is done
http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/about1942.html

anything