Author Topic: A simpler jug sling?  (Read 1299 times)

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
A simpler jug sling?
« on: September 20, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »
I was looking for a 2 strand lanyard knot which could be used by partially sighted people instead of the usual 2 strand diamond knot. The 2 strand Matthew Walker works and is not too bad to teach but searching through ABoK I came across the 2 strand footrope knot which in the tying method has some similarity to Solomon bar, regularly used for dragonflies and key fobs. But before the knot is dressed I noticed that it bears a close resemblance to ABoK 1142 - the jug sling. I find whichever method is used the jug sling (aka bottle knot) is difficult to teach though it is one of the most frequently requested knots by the public. The footrope knot seems to work pretty well at holding a flanged bottle and is far easier to follow. Has anyone tried this?

Sweeney
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 03:58:39 PM by Sweeney »

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: A simpler jug sling?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 06:28:46 PM »
I've never tried the Footrope knot that way, but it looks like it could work.

On the rare occasion that I have toted a bottle I have opted for a multi-wrap constrictor or Strangle. Nothing fancy, just an effective and quick bottle sling.

SS

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: A simpler jug sling?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 11:09:26 PM »
Jug slings don't come up much and are tricky to tie.  Most people need a book in front of them.

A fairly easy alternative is to have one end of a cord hitch to a 3 o'clock position on the cylinder, and the other end hitch to a 9 o'clock position.

A simple, firmly-gripping lengthwise hitch is four turns finished with a Gnat Hitch.  You just have to work the coils tight. 

I have such a setup suspending a variably-loaded straight cylinder with no lip or flange.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".