Author Topic: Eskimo portugese bowline  (Read 1352 times)

Marc St-Antoine

Eskimo portugese bowline
« on: September 26, 2015, 07:36:36 PM »
Hey guys,

The other day i had to tie the portugese bowline with the eyes pulled really wide so i came up with this variation, thinking the eskimo-like structure would give it a better resistance to the unusual loading configuration. This was for attaching a canoe to a car, nothing life-supporting :)

From what i could observe it does not jam, it comes undone easily after loading and both loops can be pulled away from each other and it won't come undone beacause it then worls like a sheet bend.

it's basically an eskimo bowline with the end of the eye stuck in the nipping loop from what i can observe.

Anyway I have not seen it anywhere on the internet so i'm posting it here, if some of you know if it's already been discussed, could you post the links please?

Thank you!

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Eskimo portugese bowline
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 07:46:32 PM »
When I try it, it doesn't want to stay tied.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Marc St-Antoine

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 08:54:21 PM »
Yes, there is a difference in tying it compared to the regular portugese bowline, instead of passing the rope through both (let'say, anchor rings) and tying the knot after, we pass the end through one anchor ring, make it go around the standing part and then proceed with the other anchor ring.

That way, when we make our loop in the Sp, it goes around the strand between the anchors rings, it's not beside it.

I will take more pictures to show the tying process

Marc St-Antoine

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 09:06:05 PM »
The tying process