Author Topic: Broken Hammock Needs Repairing Help Request  (Read 1367 times)

JD

• Solent Branch of the International Guild of Knot Tyers
Broken Hammock Needs Repairing Help Request
« on: August 21, 2015, 08:15:44 AM »
We have recently had the following request to our Twitter account:

"https://twitter.com/igktsolent I'm looking for someone to re-knot the end of a hammock that usually swings in my narrowboat. Do you know who might please?"

OK I guess that repairing the hammock is the easy bit, the problem that I see is that the person concerned is currently on the Lancaster canal in Lancashire.

I am sure that someone who reads this board also lives within reach to make a repair to the hammock, so if you can help, please contact me through this forum and I will pass on the persons details. I have also attached photos of the good end and the bad end of the hammock.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 08:18:21 AM by JD »

JD

Re: Broken Hammock Needs Repairing Help Request
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »
I did ask if he was having to sleep on the floor?

Latest update:

Thankfully I also have a bed. The hammock is usually just for relaxing by my open side hatch. Luckily I didn't land on the dogs when the strings broke.

I'm now in Glasson docks but expect to be back in Lancaster soon or between here and there.
Thanks again. I'd much rather repair than simply throw away and buy new.

Wed

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 12:52:11 PM »
How about making a clew?
Image at the bottom: http://pachamamatrust.org/f2/1_K/CNR_net&rope/Ni_things_to_make_KCrNR.htm

Let the ends be lose and tie them to the hammock with, for example, a your favourite loop.

JD

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 01:19:28 PM »
I would like to think that he will be getting something really fancy :-)

Wed

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 03:37:01 PM »
1. I gave priority to not throwing the existing hammock out.

2. The existing fastener seems to be nothing but a line threaded back and forth to gather the hammock loops.

3. If the clew is done right, it will become quite a bit more fancy than it is. And using bowlines, the individual length, can be adjusted as needed.

4. The clew is still simple yet elegant. Well, I think so anyway ...

asemery

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 06:36:54 PM »
The outer lines of a clew should be longer than the inner lines.  This gives a "belly" to the hammock and makes a more comfortable surface to lie on.  The loop clews can be simple as shown in the example or a more elaborate design as shown here. Tony
http://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/world-war-ii-us-navy-hammock-and-clew-tutorial/