Author Topic: How do I do what I know as multiple plaits?  (Read 3249 times)

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
How do I do what I know as multiple plaits?
« on: October 04, 2006, 06:51:47 PM »
Hello everyone,

My 6 year old firefighter is now 7, and although still hoping to be a firefighter, temporarily more interested in being a superhero!

I've been doing a small range of knots, including some turks head mats in ribbon, but I'd like to be able to do what I know as multiple plaiting.  That is, instead of 3-strand plaiting, 4, 5, 6, etc strands.

Does anyone know where I can find some instructions on that, please? My internet searches are not turning up anything useful.

Regards,

Mrs Glenys Chew
Mrs Glenys Chew
1 Corinthians 15:10

Andre van der Salm

• Exp. Member
  • I am knot crazy
    • Knots and Knot tying
Re: How do I do what I know as multiple plaits?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 07:30:35 PM »
hello Mrs G Chew,

I have a few examples on my website. The URL is : www.dsv.nl/~salmaj

You'll see some buttons there. You need the one left to the button showing a Turk's Head knot

Hope this is what you're looking for

kind regards
André vam der Salm

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 08:31:40 PM »
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 06:00:20 PM »
Thank you, Willeke and Andre.  I am printing those pages out so I can practice them whilst I'm waiting for appointments, etc.  Although, I am supposed to be catching up on my sewing and mending with Tim's school uniform then...  :D
Mrs Glenys Chew

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 09:46:59 PM »
Hi there Willeke and Andre,

Just to thank you both properly for the plaiting information on your websites.  I've just made my daughter a belt, in 4-cord plait, which is exactly the circumference of her waist, plus a tiny margin of the ends.  Then I used some remaining cordage in 4-cord plait again, for which I left a good pair of loops on the top end, and whipped it at the bottom end. (This part forms a hanging "tail".) The two loops "hook" on to the ends of the waistband, by means of folding back on themselves to create what I can best describe as a sort of reversed half hitch.  I hope I'm describing this well enough for you to know what I mean. 

Anyway, if I ever get round to using the digital camera again, I shall take a photo of it for you.  It's in a very striking gold cotton cord, with multicoloured metallic thread running through it.  Hence the whipping - it wouldn't melt.  She likes it, anyway.

Regards

Glenys Chew
Mrs Glenys Chew