Author Topic: Bay Area Maker Faire 2015 Report  (Read 1110 times)

KnotMe

• The Dao of Silk
Bay Area Maker Faire 2015 Report
« on: May 24, 2015, 12:18:55 PM »
So, the Bay Area Maker Faire was last weekend, and Vancouver Maker Faire is in 2 weekends from now.  Here's a few pictures and some general thoughts that I posted to G+:
Preview day blurb and a few pictures
Post event blurb to go with more pictures

Initial reports peg attendance to BAMF at around 150,000 people.  I don't think I saw them all, it only felt that way at the end of the day  :D, but of those who wandered through the booth, over 300 people took my info card or scanned the QR code including multiple scout leaders.  DH manned the practical knot display when he wasn't wandering the rest of the Faire, increasing it's popularity geometrically.  He estimates that he taught over 150 people the bowline.  A girl scout taught him how to tie it one handed.  A young man taught me how to tie the bowline by capsizing a slip knot (this method will definitely stick in my head better than bunnies and trees).  Another booth visitor demonstrated knot throwing for us (should have filmed it).

The needlework association was there in a massive booth with at least 6 tables.   They were teaching all comers how to knit, crochet and cross-stitch, among other things.  A model to follow...

KnotMe

• The Dao of Silk
Re: Bay Area Maker Faire 2015 Report
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 12:38:20 AM »
As I continue to talk to myself...  Here's some stats on Bay Area Maker Faire (source) to give you an idea of the demographic that we reached:

By all accounts it was a stellar event with over 145,000 Faire goers enjoying the opportunity to learn new skills, make all sorts of things, network with other Makers, and share their experiences....record attendance...

Facts and Figures
Here are some noteworthy details from Maker Faire Bay Area 2015:
? San Mateo, San Francisco, and Oakland declared May 11-17 "Maker Week"
? Attendees came from 46 U.S. states and 45 countries around the world
? Over 40% of attendees were first-time visitors to the Faire
? 59% visited the Faire with their family
? 1,200 Maker projects were represented including performances and attractions
? 500+ Maker entries included hands-on activities for attendees  (note: the IGKT booth was in the hands-on tent)
? 24% of Makers were first-time exhibitors
? 59 exhibits represented International Makers from all around the world

There are Maker Faires all over the world.  All guild members who display (or are considering it) should find one to attend, then exhibit at the next one.  B)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:43:28 AM by KnotMe »