Author Topic: An exploding hitch  (Read 15485 times)

X1

• Inactive
Re: An exploding hitch
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 04:55:48 PM »
   I do not know if there is any difference between a slipped "snug" hitch, and an "exploding" snug hitch...See the attached pictures for yet another quite tight "snug" hitch, - a two-wrap one, like the "exploding" hitch shown in this thread. I suppose that, at those hitches, the main factor that would determine if it can "explode" or not, would be the ratio of the rider s to the horse s strength !  :)

Luca

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 02:45:28 AM »
Hi X1,

This seems to be a good and simple "back-handed" hitch, is a "quick-releasing" hitch, but is not an "exploding" hitch: my friends are not entirely convinced about the use of this knot:I have tried to tell them :"Guys, if we try to enter the country without going to cackling at full gallop,screaming out loud" YPPYHAYHEE! ",and shooting bullets in the air, then perhaps the sheriff is not alarmed so quickly, and then maybe we could run a hitch more reliable than those that we usually use to tie up our horses! ",but they did not give me a lot of listening;we must understand them:they are guys with a spontaneous character, they were brought up this way, and I do not feel to blame them for this!

Bye!(and thanks for this hitch: I personally like very much!)

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 04:27:48 AM »
..it is a "quick-releasing" hitch, but it is not an "exploding" hitch:
   I understand that the two wraps around the pole would have to rotate, for a fraction of a second, before they will be able to be detached from it... but I still can not "define" the exact difference between those two kinds of hitches !
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 04:29:39 AM by X1 »

xarax

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 11:13:28 PM »
   For another exploding hitch, see :
   http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1962.0
   and the attached picture, of the "Getaway hitch", a knot tied by knot4u.
   I still believe that the "slipped snug hitch", shown at Reply#15
   http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4463.msg28346#msg28346
   is a better, tighter knot.
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 07:19:59 PM »
   On p. 15 of the pompously titled book : The Knot Bible ( by Nick Compton, 2013 ) there is a picture of a one-wrap exploding hitch, called : "Exploding Clove hitch". It is a useful knot, provided it is tied properly : the slipped Tail End should penetrate the Clove hitch from the opposite side, so the "neck" nub would be better balanced in relation to its three loaded limbs - that is, the knot should be tied as shown in the attached picture. In general, when it is tied around a segment of a rope, which is a "compressible" material, the Clove hitch has a tendency to clinch hard, even to jam, so the Clove hitch-based "lock" of the slipped Tail in this knot would be secure enough.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:20:41 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

Mobius

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 11:33:23 AM »
   On p. 15 of the pompously titled book : The Knot Bible ( by Nick Compton, 2013 ) there is a picture of a one-wrap exploding hitch, called : "Exploding Clove hitch". It is a useful knot, provided it is tied properly : the slipped Tail End should penetrate the Clove hitch from the opposite side, so the "neck" nub would be better balanced in relation to its three loaded limbs - that is, the knot should be tied as shown in the attached picture. In general, when it is tied around a segment of a rope, which is a "compressible" material, the Clove hitch has a tendency to clinch hard, even to jam, so the Clove hitch-based "lock" of the slipped Tail in this knot would be secure enough.

I like your version of it better, though the version I trialled (before I knew what it was ;) ) in another thread was the 'Exploding Clove hitch'. Seems like a good knot to me, better your way I suspect for the same reasons you give.

Cheers,

mobius

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »
In another thread discussion of the Analysis of Bowlines Agent Smith refers to KM 23 of 1988. Reading that issue I found a picture of a Tumble Hitch (on page 12) albeit shown from the reverse side of the way it is usually depicted. Presumably it was known for some time before then (the article is about how to use a photocopier to take pictures of knots).

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 04:50:17 PM »
In another thread discussion of the Analysis of Bowlines Agent Smith refers to KM 23 of 1988. Reading that issue I found a picture of a Tumble Hitch (on page 12) albeit shown from the reverse side of the way it is usually depicted. Presumably it was known for some time before then (the article is about how to use a photocopier to take pictures of knots).
Not quite:
http://notableknotindex.webs.com/tumblehitch.html

Notice the little lower collar around the standing part as it just enters the Tumble Hitch.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

Luca

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 05:01:56 PM »
Hi Sweeney,

It looks like a "classic" Highwayman's hitch.
I take the opportunity to post a picture illustrating the shape that I gave to the knot of my first post, not realizing that it was a more "compact" dressing of the Tumble hitch.

Bye!

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 09:30:35 PM »
It looks like a "classic" Highwayman's hitch.

Yes, looking at it again it is just the ordinary HH.