Author Topic: Is this the right place for intros?  (Read 7769 times)

rosco rathbone

Re: Is this the right place for intros?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 12:08:29 AM »
Hey guys. This is a very interesting forum and there is obviously a lot of knowledge here.

I'm an ironworker in NYC, USA. I've always gotten by with the bowline, running bowline, sheet bend, the clovehitch, the round turn and 2 half hitches, and from time to time the barrel hitch, the scaffold hitch and a knot that I don't know the name of, but it lets you lower something and then shake the knot out without having to have someone untie it for you. I'm starting to realize that there are a lot more good knots out there and I'd like to learn them. I might start a construction knots thread to ask basic questions, hopefully no one will be offended at the low level of knots knowledge going on there. I'm just a working stiff who'd like to pick your brains.

thanks

rosco

KnotNow!

• IGKT-PAB PAST PRESIDENT
some brite colours for fobs.
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 03:13:51 AM »
Hi Bridog,
  The site "U-braid-it" has the most wonderful selection of para cord in many neon and even more garish colours (also earth tones and other).  I see from the photos of the recent PAB event posted at the knotty gallery on <www.khww.net> that Patrick Ducey has made some crosses from neon green para... or so it seems in the photo.  It is good to see knotters getting together.
ROY S. CHAPMAN, IGKT-PAB BOARD.

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 03:15:32 AM »
Welcome Rosco!

Pick away - although I cannot vouch much for what brains I might have I'll gladly loan the one synapse I have left ;D

Lindsey
(squarerigger by name and practice)

KnotNow!

construction site knots
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 05:13:02 AM »
Hi Rosco,
  I am always two post behind.  By that you know that I was posting to Bridog and missed the next two posts.   Ah well.  There is a site dedicated to the arborists, the tree climbers, who take a tree down one branch at a time without hurting the house.  I'll mess up the URL but it is, more or less <treebuzz.com>.  They also want to home safe at the end of the day.  The knots your quoted had one that I want to ask about.  Knot names are a can of worms and without pictures or reference to published pictures can be a mess.  But what was your scaffold knot?
  I am always happy to find someone who really is usiing knots and working with line, and the names be damned.  Good to hear from you!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 05:16:15 AM by KnotNow! »

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 11:55:21 PM »
I see that Roy mentioned the neon green cross in Paracord that I tied.  I actually got that line from SupplyCaptain.com.  They have many colors, including the day-glo bright neon green.  I wish I could get a paracord made with 3M triptease highly reflective line, but that is another thread.

Paracord is avalable on many websites, it might be worth your time to shop a few sites before spending money.

Patrick

bridog

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 12:13:36 AM »
Yes, I will most certainly be checking around some first, and probably will try to get several reasonable colors all in one shipment so I can save on shipping.

I must say that I was searching for exactly that thing the other day, highly reflective paracord.  Alas, I didn't really find any, so I might have to go with something that is reflective and not paracord but still similar in size and behavior.  Anyone have any suggestions?

If we're lucky, I'll find a nice color and tie some key chains that aren't olive drab, and then maybe they'll be bright and shiny enough to sell.  I guess I'll have to make them black and soak them in tritium, haha.  :-D

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 12:57:14 AM »
REI has 3M Triptease, that is the highly reflective stuff.  It isn't in with the climbing rope, but over with their camping gear.  It is kind of thin, like a #120 cord, but it is strong.  Triptease is the only reflective cord that I know of, the paracord is bright, but not reflective or glow-in-the-dark.

Patrick

KnotNow!

reflective cord
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 06:14:38 AM »
Hi Bridog,
  Long ago Wileke and I were talking about reflective cord and I got some triptease for her, at that time some third party posted photos of some larger cord with the reflective stuff.  I don't have a copy of the post.  The stuff was black with a reflective thread and seemed to be larger than the golden triptease.  Good luck on the search.  I thought about contacting 3M to see what they offer under their own banner.  No "Round Tuit".  I am still using Kelty Triptease as accent as budget permits.

cbrew6

• Knot Heads World Wide
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 12:33:34 PM »
most rock climbing stores have or can get reflective cord. not cheap, but it is larger sizes.  i got some from Rock and Snow in New York some time back. still have some.  stuff i got is about 4mm, blue.  took me a while to git round toit, but i did,