Author Topic: Best Shoelace Knot?  (Read 4854 times)

brianw

Best Shoelace Knot?
« on: October 15, 2014, 11:30:12 AM »
My family use the following for tying shoelaces and I have found nothing to beat it for staying tied.
When I first looked into this I was persuaded that it was the Double Shoestring (ABOK 1216) but on further analysis I have convinced myself that it is not. The difference is that in addition to "pushing the left loop through the knot a second time" you also push the loose end which is parallel to the left loop through the knot a second time (at the same time). The knot pulls tight nicely and is undone simply by pulling on both of the loose ends together. In comparison with ABOK 1216 this knot stays tied much better when using stiff laces or when shoes are tied loosely.
I am sure there have been lots of discussions in the past about shoelace knots but I have never found a reference to this one, so I would appreciate any comments or pointers to more information about this one.
Many thanks.

Dan_Lehman

Re: Best Shoelace Knot?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 06:32:20 PM »
Your knot is to #1216 (=#1219)
as is the granny to the reef/square
(and so your "loops" should tend to end up
parallel with the shoe vs perpendicular,
if not that latter with the loops on opposite
sides to where they'd lie in a reef).

--dl*
====

brianw

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 05:19:05 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Dan. I will look a bit more closely. Just so I am clear, are you saying that ABOK 1216 and 1219 are the same?
Thanks.

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 12:18:20 PM »
Have you looked at http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/? Everything you need to know about shoelaces!

Barry

preventec47

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 02:32:11 PM »
Ian's secure shoelace knot is unbeatable !
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

we walked on the moon in 1969 and had desktop computers in
1980 but it took me 34 more years till 2014 to learn how to tie
my shoes so they would not come untied unless I wanted them
to.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 05:47:12 AM »
Thanks for the quick response Dan. I will look a bit more closely.
Just so I am clear, are you saying that ABOK 1216 and 1219 are the same?
Thanks.
Welllll, there is this rather finicky (to my glance)
aspect to how things line up upon setting --i.p.,
whether the tails go this way or that.  #1219 is
what was cited as "Ian's secure shoelace knot";
I'm not so sure that it "is unbeatable": YMMV per
shoelace, methinks (firm & slick being the tough
combination).

--dl*
====

brianw

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 10:49:18 AM »
Thank you all for the comments, and the information about Ian's knot which I had come across before.
I was thinking in a light-hearted way about how we might decide which is the "best" knot for this purpose. I would suggest that in order of priority the characteristics should be:
1. Likelihood of staying tied
2. Ease of tying
3. Ease of untying
I am not sure how to scientifically measure these but I do propose to experiment by tying one shoe with an Ian knot and one with "my" knot to test item 1.
I think they are about equal in ease of tying.
Regarding the untying "my"knot seems to have an interesting characteristic that even when the knot is pulled tightly together it requires very little effort to untie compared to the Ian knot.
Any other views or thoughts on this?
Thanks, Brian.

smirnov_wasilii

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 05:47:59 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWfdOS_6A7M&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFnqforkj48&t=5s
Вот еще один узел для шнурков.  Я назвал его Бантик Васко. Второй полуузел вяжется по  другой схеме,  тоже предложенной Яном  Начиная с центрального перекрестка Полуузла.  Первый полуузел вяжется по другому. Васко развязывается полностью, не только второй но и первый полуузлы. В Васко 2 ходовые концы подоткнуты под коренные, что повышает его устойчивость.
Here is another knot for shoelaces. I called it Bow Vasco. The second half of the node has the form of another intersection, also proposed by Jan Figgen. The first half of the knot fits in the new pattern. The Vasco 2 node has new features. When snatching over the running ends, not only the second, but also the first half-knot are untied. In Vasco 2, the running ends are tucked under the main ones, which increases its stability.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:09:14 AM by smirnov_wasilii »

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 06:11:20 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWfdOS_6A7M&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFnqforkj48&t=5s
Вот еще один узел для шнурков.  Я назвал его Бантик Васко. Второй полуузел вяжется по  другой схеме,  тоже предложенной Яном  Начиная с центрального перекрестка Полуузла.  Первый полуузел вяжется по другому. Васко развязывается полностью, не только второй но и первый полуузлы. В Васко 2 ходовые концы подоткнуты под коренные, что повышает его устойчивость.

Good day smirnov_wasilii.

Thank you for the link.
In the future, could you please add a translated version such as this.

"Here is another knot for shoelaces. I called it Bow Vasco. The second half-node fits in according to another scheme, also proposed by Jan Starting from the central intersection of the Half-site. The first half-node fits differently. Vasco unleashes completely, not only the second but also the first half-nodes. In Vasco 2, the running ends are tucked under the main ones, which increases its stability."

I used Google Translate to do the translation and although I have heard that it is not perfect, it does get most of the salient points across. It is my opinion, that a lot of people will not click on a link if they don't know what has been said about it. And perhaps they shouldn't...

Again, thank you.

SS

smirnov_wasilii

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 05:56:32 AM »
Thanks for the comment. I tried to translate more correctly than Google.