Author Topic: mid line loop knot to be used as end line loop knot ?  (Read 2225 times)

preventec47

mid line loop knot to be used as end line loop knot ?
« on: October 10, 2014, 02:38:56 AM »
It occurred to me that if there was a good enough mid line loop that could withstand stress in all directions, why not use the same loop at the end of a line.  The benefit being that only
one knot and not two can be learned and practiced often.     Further,  it seems to me that
there could sometimes be an advantage if this "one" best knot resulted in "two"
loops as I think whatever you need one loop for you could always use two loops instead
and then sometimes you might actually "need" two loops.   

In my rookie knot efforts so far I have decided to focus on the Water Bowline with a Yosemite Tuck as the one line I would learn first,  though I realize this knot is not a mid line loop knot.

There is some discussion about several variations/modification of the bowline that could be superior somehow to all the main commonly known bowlines.... Like the Janus Bowline...
If that is to be declared to be the best, where can I find step by step tying instructions ?

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: mid line loop knot to be used as end line loop knot ?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 05:31:28 AM »
It occurred to me that if there was a good enough mid line loop that could withstand stress in all directions, why not use the same loop at the end of a line. 
Because end of line loops are often expected to pass through or around an object before closing, and most midline loops don't have an easy means of accomplishing this.  Also, you get more options when you aren't constrained to midline tying methods, and so you are more likely to find better properties, such as security, stability, jam resistance, and so on, depending on what you need.

In my rookie knot efforts so far I have decided to focus on the Water Bowline with a Yosemite Tuck as the one line I would learn first,  though I realize this knot is not a mid line loop knot.

There is some discussion about several variations/modification of the bowline that could be superior somehow to all the main commonly known bowlines.... Like the Janus Bowline...
If that is to be declared to be the best, where can I find step by step tying instructions ?
There are tradeoffs to be made among many of the various end loop options.  No one loop is the best for all possible applications or considerations.  For example, the Monsoon Bowline has exceptional security, but it isn't as simple or compact as a Water Bowline which isn't as secure, but is still pretty good.  You have to experiment and research to determine what's the best fit for your needs.

I hope that helps.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

preventec47

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 03:38:03 PM »
Well the Monsoon Bowline is very interesting and this is the 1st I have heard of it.   Thanks very much.  I will study it further.   Thanks for the great link !

xarax

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 11:39:24 AM »
   It occurred to me that if there was a good enough mid line loop that could withstand stress in all directions, why not use the same loop at the end of a line. The benefit being that only one knot and not two can be learned and practiced often.

Keep having such clear and bright ideas !  :)
  "Mid line loop that can withstand stress in all directions" = TIB loop, loop that can be tied in-the-bight. Of course, a TIB loop can not be a good loop, and can not withstand stress in all directions, but use the good ones, that can !

Search for "TIB loop" in this Forum - you will find some. There are a few TIB secure bowlines which can be loaded by both ends, from the first as bowlines, and from the second as crossing knot loops.

This is not a knot.