Author Topic: A way to tie the Double Cow hitch in-the-bight and in-the-hand.  (Read 3431 times)

xarax

A way to tie the Double Cow hitch in-the-bight and in-the-hand.
« on: February 21, 2015, 03:55:25 PM »
   There are many ways people tie the same knot, and this is true even for knots of the same size, tied on the same material, and under the same circumstances. I believe that this is due to the fact that people are able to visualize and memorize the same knot ( the same convoluted path of rope(s) in 3D ) in many ways, they can construct many different mental images of it, and also they can imagine many different sequences of moves to form it. This is why I usually refrain from offering particular ways - the knot tyer who likes a particular knot, should better tie it many times, and in all the ways he/she can figure out, and only then decide which suits him/her more. Specific tying instructions can do more harm than good, because they can often be misinterpreted as tying recipes, which lead to parroting, not understanding... 

Having said that, let me make an exception, and describe how I prefer to tie the tight hitch / binder Double Cow hitch around a pole with one accessible end.
   THREE steps, and three steps only :
   1. Form a sufficiently long middle-line bight, and then flip the tip of it UNDER the two ends. At the end of this first move, you have TWO new, shorter bights, one at the left and one at the right, with the two ends at the middle. ( See the first picture ).
   2. Do the same for each of those two new, shorter bights, but now flip the tips of them OVER their ends. At the end of this second move, you have FOUR new, even shorter bights, in a row. ( See the second picture )
   3. Insert the pole through the four eyes of those four bights ( or vice versa ), the one after the other. How ? If you remember that the hitch is called Double Cow hitch, you know how !  :)  Over, under, under, over, and then again, over, under, under, over. Just two humble Cow hitches, the one next to the other. ( See the third picture )
    At the end, you have the loose knot shown in the fourth attached picture (1). The four wraps should better remain parallel to each other - there is no point to have some of them passing over some others, as riding turns. There is enough gripping and locking power in the mechanism of this tight hitch, that makes the usual way we secure the tail ends of the snug hitches, by driving them under riding turns, completely redundant.
    Last, but not least, one should remember that, to obtain a very tight hitch ( able to withstand a strong longwise pull ), or a  secure binder, at the very end of the pre-tensioning he/she should better pull the ends against the pole alternately, the one after the other.
   In short, one can tie this hitch in a few seconds, literally - and yet obtain results better than any other 4-wrap tight hitch I know ( with the exception of the TackleClamp hitch - which is even tighter, but can not be tied as easily and quickly as the Double Cow hitch. ) 

1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4035.msg24345#msg24345

P.S. I chose to describe the "front view" of the tying of this hitch: obviously, in the "back view", the UNDER should become OVER, and vice versa. The important thing one has to remember is that if, in the first step, he/she flips the initial one long bight the one way, in the second step he/she should flip the two shorter bights the other way. There is no conspiracy of the Universe that dictates which is the "inherent front" and which is the "inherent back" view, of course !  :) In both views one can visually follow the path of the rope equally well. I had just drawn the KnotMaker sketches in accordance with this B&W picture of the loose knot I had posted in the initial thread about this knot.   
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 11:56:44 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.