Author Topic: Not sure if it's a new knot or not  (Read 4187 times)

dmgadct

Not sure if it's a new knot or not
« on: October 15, 2014, 12:01:18 AM »
Just messing around I came up with this nice, simple, non-jamming end of the line loop.  It seems to simple to not have been done before but I've never seen it.  Has anyone else seen this knot and if so is it named? 

xarax

Re: Not sure if it's a new knot or not
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 02:00:33 AM »
   An overhand knot tied on the Stranding Part before the eye ( because it is loaded by the 100% of the total load from the one end, and 50% of the total load from the other )  can clinch around itself very tightly, and can immobilize very efficiently a second line that penetrates it - even if it penetrates it once. Two such knots, tied on the ends of two lines, can be utilized as a simple adjustable binder ( see the attached picture ), or even as a bend ( the Bend X , M. B3 ), as was shown by D. Mandeville. In your knot, the returning eye leg goes through this overhand knot twice - moreover, the second time it passes under itself, so it forms a Blackwall hitch which is already a very secure hitch, even if it is not squeezed inside a tightly woven overhand knot. Therefore, your knot is very secure, no question about that. However, I am not sure that it will not jam under heavy loading - the property of non-jamming, for "knots" other than simple loops, should only be claimed after it has been tested.
   Almost the same knot can also hold well, even if the knot tied on the Standing Part is shaped like an overhand knot, it is geometrically similar to an overhand knot, but it is topologically equivalent to the unknot. See the four variations of the asymmetric HH hitch which can serve as a base for such a loop. (1)
   Two variations of a similar knot was shown at (2) - used as a mid-air binder, not as a loop.
   Another attempt to incorporate a Blackwall hitch into the ( crossing knot-based ) nub of a loop, can be seen at (3).

1.  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4116.msg26738#msg26738
     http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4116.msg26739#msg26739
2.  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3656.msg21113#msg21113
3.  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4736
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 02:05:07 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 05:46:38 AM »
Just messing around I came up with this nice, simple, non-jamming end of the line loop.  It seems to simple to not have been done before but I've never seen it.  Has anyone else seen this knot and if so is it named?
It seems to have problems when the legs are pulled in opposite directions.  Have you noticed this, too?
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

dmgadct

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 10:20:14 PM »
I played around a little with this knot at work today.  Using 1/2" manila rope I tied the loop around the platform of a scissor lift and the other end to the base of the unit.  My boss proceeded to raise the platform to apply tension to the line.  I'm not sure how much tension was applied but it was enough to max out the lift's raising capabilities which is listed as 500 lbs.  The knot did not jam and was easily untied.  I also tested the loop with 1/4" braided nylon and used my full body weight of 180 lbs to see how it held up.  Again, it did not bind and was easily untied.  The directional figure eight I used as a foot hold bound up a little though.  In both tests the knot kept it's form nicely.

I am by no means an expert with knots, just a hobby I picked up over the last few years, and I really appreciate the feedback.  I have a feeling I have a lot of exploring to do on this forum!           

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 11:42:31 PM »
I played around a little with this knot at work today.  Using 1/2" manila rope I tied the loop around the platform of a scissor lift and the other end to the base of the unit.  My boss proceeded to raise the platform to apply tension to the line.  I'm not sure how much tension was applied but it was enough to max out the lift's raising capabilities which is listed as 500 lbs.  The knot did not jam and was easily untied.  I also tested the loop with 1/4" braided nylon and used my full body weight of 180 lbs to see how it held up.  Again, it did not bind and was easily untied.  The directional figure eight I used as a foot hold bound up a little though.  In both tests the knot kept it's form nicely.
When I talk about pulling the legs of the loops in opposite directions, I'm not talking about loading the standing part of the loop.  Imagine that something is trying to expand the loop.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

dmgadct

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 11:50:32 PM »
"When I talk about pulling the legs of the loops in opposite directions, I'm not talking about loading the standing part of the loop.  Imagine that something is trying to expand the loop."

Yes, I see what you mean.  It does loose form and bind up.  Thanks for the feedback.

dmgadct

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 11:56:15 PM »
Totally agree on properly testing and can see the importance of using a well tested knot.  The rope and knots I use are primarily for work in the construction trade and are generally for nothing to critical, so that is the angle that I'm coming from.  I did find that it holds up well as a fishing knot.

dmgadct

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 11:59:30 PM »
never mind about the fishing knot, when the legs in the loop are pulled it instantly comes undone.  Thanks Roo.

dmgadct

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 12:25:34 AM »
Which is probably why the bowline is not used as a fishing knot.  The non-slop mono loop does not fail like this when the loop is pulled from the inside in opposite directions.

dmgadct

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 02:39:09 AM »
I just read through enhaut's thread "loop unknown"  and can see the improvement using the nipping method on their loop over the overhand knot on mine.  Thanks again for the feedback, that's why I posted here.