Author Topic: Heart bend  (Read 3697 times)

xarax

Heart bend
« on: October 07, 2014, 11:23:26 AM »
   I had promised myself to tie only one "new" bend per season  :) ( because it is so easy to tie them, but so impossible to test them ! ) - but after examining various bends presented recently in the Forum I decided to try my hand again, for the second time this season... So I thought that I should better post the first bend I met, because who knows what will happen until next season, with all those Ebola viruses lurking around... :)
   To tie it, just bend the bight of the first link, to form a two-line "hook", and then, with the Working End of the second line, copy the path of the first, in a mirror symmetric way - without forgetting to drive the second line through the eye of the first bight, at the tip of the first "hook", of course !  :) Load it by whichever ends you like - it really does not matter much.
   I believe it is a most simple/easy to remember how to tie and to tie bend, because its pattern, the two hooked two-line "hooks"  :), is akin to how we intuitively apprehend what " a bend " is ... ( I post only the loose-form image, so the reader will not be confused by the more convoluted paths of the lines in the loaded, compact form of the knot - which may be described as two interlocked Girth hitches )
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:54:47 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

Luca

Re: Heart bend
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 12:59:08 PM »
Hi xarax,

Water Hearth!  (EDIT:Only now do I realize that the "water heart" bend is the same as the Bend D presented here by xarax: http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4016.msg23919#msg23919 )

Bye!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:32:51 PM by Luca »

xarax

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 01:21:56 PM »
   You mean, the Water bend you show, will be transformed into a Healthy Heart bend, after you WASH your ropes ? I doubt it, but you should try !  :) :) :)
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
  You make me post a picture of the compact knot, which I had avoided... The "heart shape" is not as clearly outlined, as in the loose form - which is better revealing the functional pattern  and the tying method I had suggested.
   ( Notice the different way the two bights are interlocked at their tips - I prefer it, it makes the nub more compact )
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:38:14 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

Luca

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 02:13:10 PM »
   You mean, the Water bend you show, will be transformed into a Healthy Heart bend, after you WASH your ropes ? I doubt it, but you should try !  :) :) :)

No, I have not confused it with the bend that you show, if that I  show(I obtained this dressing of the Water bend by retucking a Double Harness with parallel ends :o) is not completely off-topic is only for its shape ... and yes, does not look exactly like the heart of an immaculate person...I will try to give a wash to my conscience to show a cleaner heart!

xarax

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 02:35:19 PM »
   I did not said that you had confused those bends, of course - what I said is that they do not work the same way. The Water bend does jam, as it is made by two interlocked Overhand knots, tied on the direct continuations of the Standing Ends. On the contrary, the Heart bend will not jam ( well, that is what I believe, judging of what I see and what I know, because I have not loaded it very much... ) - and it will not jam because it is made by two interlocked Girth hitches, which, generally, do not jam.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:37:17 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 02:37:19 PM »
      Imagine the simplest, in a sense, loop, the first one presented in ABoK s chapter about single loops, the TIB Loop knot ( or Overhand loop, ABoK#1009 ), linked to a single bight. Now imagine the bight / eye of the Overhand loop shrink, and then be "swallowed" entirely inside the nub, dragging the single bight along with it. Continuing this transformation, the bight of the Overhand loop will be untucked out of the nub, and will become less convoluted, while, at the same time, the linked to it single bight will be tucked into the nub, and will become more convoluted. At a certain point, the two bights will become equally convoluted, and mirror symmetric to each other : we will get the Heart Bend ! ( Needless to say that, due to symmetry, if we start from the Heart Bend, we can end with an Overhand loop linked to a single straight bight, OR with a single straight bight linked to an Overhand loop : the link of the Heart bend we feed is transformed to an Overhand loop, and the link we starve is transformed to a single straight bight, the first at the one / "left" side of the line and the second at the other / "right", OR vice versa. )
    I do not say that this is a quick or a clever method to tie or to untie the Heart Bend  :), but it is interesting that, starting from one heart-shaped knot ( the double-line overhand knot of the Overhand Loop s nub ), we end with another knot, which "remembers" its "origin", and retains its initial heart-shaped form.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:51:05 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

anything