Author Topic: renaming turks heads  (Read 4754 times)

Stagehand

Re: renaming turks heads
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 08:10:49 AM »
Thanks KnotMe for providing this subject.  I agree with your awareness and disagree with Roo's ignorance on this question.  Who will suggest the word was not born in 19th century Jingoism?  What did English sailors think of Ottomans? 
I like saying "Turks-head" in part because I admire things Turkish.  That does not make it right.
All Turks-head Knots are four-connected polyhedra.  All Turks-head Knots are polyhedra.

Wed

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 09:06:38 AM »
Especially as the TH is a pretty knot. Had I been a Turk, I'd be proud of the name.

KnotMe

• The Dao of Silk
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 11:12:14 AM »
...plumbing...
Many professions and crafts and such have terminology and linguistic traditions that occasionally cause troubles for some and not for others.  Just look at the names of some major league sports teams.  But we're not here to solve all the world's problems, we're just here to talk about knots.   :D

Perhaps someday ... the Alpine Butterfly considered slanderous to all broad winged insects.    I don't mean to seem facetious
Really?   :o

I understand your concern, Knotme, but is this the time?
Seemed like the time, that's why I brought it up.

Is the noble Turkshead (notice I didn't write it as "Turk's Head") to be the first to fall?  If so then perhaps the Chinese Button Knot should be next?
Speaking as someone of Chinese descent, I'm pretty sure we are fond if not proud of the "Chinese Button Knot".  Conversely, I would be very interested in the opinion of someone of Turkish descent on "Turk's Head" knots.  Or, indeed, anyone of a cultural tradition that wears turbans like, say, Sikhs.

oldpete

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 04:33:35 PM »
Question. If we get rid of the term 'turkshead' should I throw out all the books that mention it, including ABOK ? What about the Eskimo loop should that be renamed.  To me this is PC gone wrong.

capellagroup

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 06:42:19 AM »
Full marks.  Let sleeping Turks lie, I say.