Author Topic: Re-tucking the tails of the [i]Zeppelin bend[/i] through the collars.  (Read 2433 times)

xarax

The re-tucking the tails of the Zeppelin bend through the collars, can be done in a number of ways. Each Tail End can be driven through its own or through the other link s collar, it can enter and exit the bight of the collar from the one or from the other side, and it can be dressed so it will remain at the one or at the other side of the Standing End next to it.
   For my "Season s bend" series, I have recently been re-tucking various bends which have Tail Ends leaving the nub towards opposite directions, and at about 90 degrees angles in relation to the axis of the knot. This way they can be made more streamlined ( those Tails Ends ai right angles to the axis of the knot, is not what is needed, and it may even become dangerous, if the whole knot is forced to pass through a narrow opening ), and, presumably, because of the re-tucking, more secure, too.
   Re-tucked, therefore mote secure, right ? Wrong !  :) Do those re-tuckings in the case of the Zeppelin bend, pull the Standing Ends, and see what happens !  :)
   Moral of the story : things are not always as they are presumed to be... and knots are no exception. They are very complex friction machines, which can do funny things we can not anticipate.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:47:16 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

anything