Author Topic: New Bend found?  (Read 8361 times)

Luca

Re: New Bend found?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 07:05:19 AM »
Hi Ruby,

I think we can discuss whether this bend is for example more like #1408 or more like #1451 (or Corrick bend ,A7 in the book by Miles,that by the way seems to be dressed in a different way from how #1451 appears in the ABoK).The two "faces" of the Zeppelin maybe can appear similar to those of this knots,but the Zeppelin has another kind of symmetry,mainly because his two links are symmetrical to each other,while the two links of #1408(/9),B7/Diamond bend(whatever the dressings) and #1451/A7 are identical to each other.And the Zeppelin bend seems to be more stable than those bends(...or at least is no-bistable!),despite the fact that the two links are less interlinked.

Bye!

xarax

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 12:46:43 PM »
...the Zeppelin bend seems to be more stable than those bends...despite the fact that the two links are less interlinked.

Because it is a rope-made hinge, and hinges are well-balanced articulated mechanisms - as every door knows thousands of years now !  :)
This is not a knot.

Edmund Berndt

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
less interlinked

This is also an important hint.

I just tangle with interlocked overhand knot. One overhandknot in one rope and tied together with less windings as possible. This means that there should be no "repeatings".

Other restrictions could be stated too.

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3929.0

I don't know if this not new knot of my  New Bend, is somewhere mentioned as a Bend like sheetbend ect.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:41:53 PM by Edmund Berndt »

Edmund Berndt

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 03:22:15 PM »

I don't know if this not new knot of my  New Bend, is somewhere mentioned as a Bend like sheetbend ect.

I just wanted to say, that in chapter 18 in ABoK starting from knot number ABoK #1402  numorous bends are listed. Their function is to connect two rope. These bends are  tied in  different knots. One of these bends is the sheet bend.

xarax

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »
   I make a distinction that is not so clear, but it is not meaningless either : the "bends" can be hitches, tied on the end of the one rope, attached to the other rope, which plays the role of the hitched object. That is what happens in the case of the Sheet bend. Other bends work in different ways. ABoK#1451, the Diamond bend and its "loose" variation which you had presented, can not be considered as hitch-like bends. I do not see the Tail End / second leg immobilized the way we usually see this is achieved in hitches, by being squeezed and immobilized in between / "over" the surface of the hitched object/rope segment and "under" the first leg.     
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 03:57:18 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.