Author Topic: Vancouver, BC & Pacific Northwest sub-group?  (Read 1462 times)

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
Vancouver, BC & Pacific Northwest sub-group?
« on: July 19, 2014, 08:45:35 PM »
This is what I emailed a week ago directly to a number of guild members based on email in the membership lists...  Alas, no response, maybe they're all on summer vacation.   :D   It's not that I want to splinter the PAB, it'd just be nice to have attend-able meetings if you're not near LA.
So, at this year?s Vancouver Maker Faire, I put out a signup list for people interested in a knot local meeting.  I got 14 names.  Most, however, are interested in practical knots, so I?d like help if possible from the guild. I did not tell people that this would a guild meeting and am certain they aren?t expecting to join the guild, nor would I want them to right away...

My latest PAB membership list (in an email sent in 2014) shows 1 person in Nanaimo which is pretty much on par with Seattle for travel time.
My latest IGKT membership list (2011) shows one other Burnaby person (!), some islanders and David Fukuhara (who has no email and never will 8-) of Vancouver (I?ll call him later 8-)

1) would BC IGKT + PAB members be interested in a local-ish meeting?
2) would Pacific Northwest IGKT + PAB members be interested in attending a Vancouver meeting or possibly a rotating? Bellingham/New West meeting?

In my neck of the woods, we have 2 options for a meeting site that I have used:
- the New Westminster Public Library (http://www.nwpl.ca/) has free meeting space available.  I already meet there monthly with my bead group.  Setting up another regular meeting would be trivial
- the Maker Labs (http://www.makerlabs.ca/) offers meeting/teaching space on a profit sharing basis.  Free meetings/classes are free to have.  They want to increase the local creative energy.  Plus I?m a member.

The advantage of Maker Labs is the cool factor of sharing space with laser cutters, CNC machines and 3d printers.   Plus if we want to break out fire to heat seal cord ends, no one would blink an eye.  On the other hand, the library wouldn?t notice, but they?d disapprove if they caught us.  8-)

Knotnut

• Knotnut
    • IGKT-Pacific Branch
Re: Vancouver, BC & Pacific Northwest sub-group?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 01:37:08 AM »
Hello Carol,
I have not been on this forum in a long while and noticed this post. I did reply to your email but maybe it got lost in the ether? I will resend it to you.

Joe Schmidbauer
IGKT
Granite Falls, WA
Editor, Knot News
IGKT-Pacific Branch

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 05:08:17 AM »
Hello Carol,

Like Joe, I have not been on the Forum in a while.  There never has been, nor would there ever be, resistance on my part to your forming a sub-branch of the PAB (or of the NAB) if you want to.  Go ahead and speak to us formally with an e-mail of your specific request, with details of the administrative structure and any separate by-laws you wish to have considered, so that we may consider it as an item of business at the next meeting of the Branch officers, and so that we can consider your formal approach to the Branch in our AGM or another meeting specially called for the purpose.  Speaking for myself I would not resist your forming your own off-shoot.  It is a little disappointing that you would not ask for sign-ups right away, but you know your audience and you will certainly have better insight.  Do let me know via regular e-mails what you intend to do and I will assist in any way proper.

Sincerely,

Lindsey Philpott
President, Pacific Americas Branch

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 06:44:51 PM »
Hey, Joe.  Thanks much for the response.  I think it came when I was away for a week.  It always takes a while to plow through the backlog.  I'll find  your message and respond today.

Lindsay, I had no thoughts that there might be resistance to starting a sub-branch.   :D  I'm all ad hoc and informal and was thinking gatheration rather than anything formal...  8)

I'll talk to Joe and we can get this show on the road.