Author Topic: Adjustable loop.  (Read 12992 times)

xarax

Re: Adjustable loop.
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »
  The "other hand" form of the helical loop shown in the previous post ( in its half- and its one-and-a-half turn variations ) may seem even simpler to some readers.
   What I, for one, have learnt from those loops, was quite unexpected for me : the exact form, the "closeness" of the most important element of the bowline, the nipping loop ( the fact that the nipping loop has a "crossing point" ), is redundant ! A nipping turn can nip very efficiently and sufficiently for most practical purposes, even if it is "open". i.e., even if it has the form of an open helical turn. The more complex Helical loops presented at (1) and the more simple ones presented in the previous posts, are nothing but specific examples of this general idea. The more the helical turns, the surer the eye-knot ( because of the way the coil constricts and immobilizes the knot tied on the returning eye leg ), but also the harder the knot tyer can adjust it.

1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4949.0 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 03:43:02 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

enhaut

• Exp. Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »
I wonder if abok #1032 enters in this caterogy?
If so the Chinese found this solution a long time ago.

No nipping turn and the zig zap pattern (can it be considered as an helix ?) seems sufficient enough to stabilize the knot formation.
Of course it is not an adjustable loop.

pictures = abok 1032
           abok 1032 solution
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 09:18:43 PM by enhaut »

xarax

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 10:37:07 PM »
   Believe it or not, I had never thought of that, but now you mention it, I believe that yes, it does. Especially if you dress it so that the Standing Part before the eye is more straightened than it is in the "decorative" form this loop is often presented, you see a one-full-turn helical coil entangled within and around a Pretzel-shaped knot tied on the returning eye leg - in away that, on the one hand, it keeps it in one tightly woven piece, and, on the other, it penetrates it, thus been obstructed of sliding or "walking" downwards, towards the tip of the eye.
   ( In this elongated form, this loop, too, can be considered an adjustable loop ).
This is not a knot.

James Petersen

• Exp. Member
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 02:37:48 AM »
   Speaking of adjustable loops, I remembered the most easily tiable PET adjustable loop I used to tie, before I met the Pretzel loop. ....

1.  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3315.msg19890#msg19890
Off topic -- sorry SS369
I don't think it was mentioned as an option for the  beginning/top of a truckers/truckie hitch in the old thread about the favorite way to tie that knot, this is what is, in my experience, used exclusively to start that knot in Taiwan (and ropes are still used a lot for tie-downs here). A video that I didn't see in that thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73hHtb_if1g

--JP

Ruby

• Exp. Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 11:28:39 AM »
really adjustable.  easy for tightening. the best