Author Topic: Yarn spinning  (Read 858 times)

2Kenora

Yarn spinning
« on: July 14, 2014, 03:50:04 AM »
Okay, so most of us here can spin a yarn, but is there anyone here that can actually spin fibers into useable string?
The reason I ask is that earlier this year we introduced the Scouts to primitive rope making where I made some very basic tools in order to twist jute, sisal, butchers twine, etc into 3 lay rope of various sizes.  It was a lot of fun and the kids twisted 1/4" to 1/2" rope on our modest rope walk.
I would like to expand this further by using locally available fibres (bullrush fronds, tall grasses, inner bark from cedars, willows, etc) and twisting them into strands that can be used to make into rope.  As a young lad I recall my Gramma using a kind of a top like device to spin fibres together.  She would spend hours spinning this thing while drawing fibres of sheeps wool from a big clump and turning it into string.  Later one of us would have to sit with our arms held out as she wrapped countless loops around our wrists that she would in turn set up some how on her spinning wheel and run it off to make yarn to knit with.  At the time it was a real chore and could not wait unitl it was done so that I could go and play but I wish that I had paid more attention to the actual procedure!
There are some knitting websites that are quite useful but is there anyone here that understands what I'm trying to accomplish and can add some insight on how to actually do this???
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Mig