Author Topic: knots for spider-man window washers rappelling down the side of the building  (Read 5221 times)

Ruby

• Exp. Member

One thing that bothers me about anchoring off with some variation of two half hitches is that any knucklehead could walk by and untie things all too easily even while the line is loaded.

this is really a problem. 
but we must belive that all people is good people.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
Where is this?  --it's 4-strand rope,
so I'm thinking "Europe"?!

--dl*
====

Well, if it is Europe, it certainly is not England.  H&S would shut this operation down in a blink and there would be serious charges brought against everyone including the people who hired them.

These tie-ins are so far off the scale of sensibility, my first reaction was that this was a wind up.  Who on earth would tie onto a hand rail other than in an absolute emergency?

The only thing that adds a little credibility is the use of 20mm laid rope, it adds a lot of redundancy and allows for the use of a substantial rappelling device - but tying onto hand rails?  Going out of windows?  No, sorry, but this really smells of a wind up Ruby.

Derek

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Where is this?  --it's 4-strand rope,
so I'm thinking "Europe"?!

--dl*
====

Well, if it is Europe, it certainly is not England.  H&S would shut this operation down in a blink and there would be serious charges brought against everyone including the people who hired them.

These tie-ins are so far off the scale of sensibility, my first reaction was that this was a wind up.  Who on earth would tie onto a hand rail other than in an absolute emergency?

The only thing that adds a little credibility is the use of 20mm laid rope, it adds a lot of redundancy and allows for the use of a substantial rappelling device - but tying onto hand rails?  Going out of windows?  No, sorry, but this really smells of a wind up Ruby.

Derek

Actually H&S (the govt dept not the generic covering anybody) are unlikely to be aware of this in the UK. There seems to be a myth that H&S inspectors are ubiquitous yet their involvement is all too often because of an incident rather than a routine visit (building sites are a notable exception). Equally the "H&S" issue is quoted more often than not when an organisation is worried about the compensation culture we are in these days with lawyers touting for business a direct cause of this. That said tying to a handrail looks remarkably stupid and those responsible for H&S for the building (ie whoever employs these people however indirectly) have a responsibility for their safety and should have checked that all was well - maybe they did and thought that a heavy rope wrapped several times looked OK? Chances are that in reality this is very unlikely to come adrift but being knot tyers maybe we are naturally risk averse - ignorance is bliss for most!

Barry